fabric testing.

icebob

Hi all,

someone on the forum asked me about fabric testing and i can not remember who so am placing the information here.

The standard test is the Betts test with a pull of 1350gms the fabric should not tear. Any figure below that is a fail.

The two part test needs to be done in two directions and at 90 degrees to the other test.

I contacted X-Air,Dimension Polyant of Germany and a trike manufacturer to confirm the test. It is of interest that all recommend the same test and the same test pull figure.

Bob.

Guest Baphomet

Ok, I give in. I've just spent an almost fruitless 15 min googling. Found 1 supplier in the UK. Care to post a link

Hi,

yes you can at a pinch but need to check the accuracy of the spring balance, can go to the chemist and use their weights to check it, you may do small amounts of damage with an "ordinary" 2mm hook and it may need a patch on as some fibers will not go back to their original location after the test. The one in my test kit is tapered around the hook section.

Bob.

Hi,

am having a meal so thought this may interest you

To purchase a unit from Airborne, order BETTSOMETER UNIT Part #109095 Don't know the price but they are the trike people in Sydney.

My unit has the 1.2mm hook that is tapered.

purchased mine about 2 years ago for I think $55 plus postage of $7.50.

Bob.

Yes Bob has it correct,

I should have consulted my reference before posting.

The correct diameter is 1.2mm.

for an interesting take on a home made fabric tester have a look at Skyranger : Rudolf une Restauration

down the bottom of the page

sure its in French but pretty easy to

follow or get Google or Babelfish to translate .

davidh

HI all,

Just a word of caution when using the tester. Make sure the point of the hook goes between two threads.

I loaned mine to someone and he just stuck it in without care, nicked a thread and then was so heavy handed doing the test that thread broke and by the manufacturers recommendation that is considered a tear so a fail. We patched the butcher job and moved on to another location, this time I did the test and the fabric passed. so now he has this ugly patch he needs to keep an eye on for the life of his fabric. If you see a lovely white and red fabric aircraft with this postage stamp size pink patch you will all know who the butcher is/was.031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

I am on purpose not naming names or aircraft, this will drive him crazy, oh I am bad, he, he.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

the other issue on a pull up to test stitching, please take care you are only testing the folded area with the stitches through it not the actual stitch material on its own.

Bob.