Drifter Engine Tube/Boom Angle?

Guest BaronVonEvil

Guest BaronVonEvil

Hi All,

I'm trying to restore a USA made Drifter XP582 and small problem has come up. The Drifter I'm trying to rebuild has been through several owners and has seen a few "mods" in its history, some good, most bad. I have an older assembly manual that so far has been fairly helpful.

The problem is what is the angle of the engine support tube to the fuselage tube? I have a single place drifter and it measures about 9 degrees. The Drifter Im working on (Two-place) measures about 7 degrees. I spoke with Lockwood Aviation, Dennis Franklin, and he said he thought it was about 5 1/2 degrees.

The rear wing/engine vertical support tubes bolt holes dont line up at all. Im trying to find out which tubes are correct and which need replacement or re-drilling of the bolt holes. I really dont want to have to replace all the rear support tubes if I dont have to ( They are not cheap!).

Somewhere in there is the correct answer. I was hoping some where in the land of Oz there was someone who would definitely know what the Engine support tube angle should be. Help Mr Wizard!

Thank you for you help.

Best Regards

BaronVonEvil

Hi All,

The problem is what is the angle of the engine support tube to the fuselage tube? I have a single place drifter and it measures about 9 degrees. The Drifter Im working on (Two-place) measures about 7 degrees. I spoke with Lockwood Aviation, Dennis Franklin, and he said he thought it was about 5 1/2 degrees.

Thank you for you help.

Best Regards

BaronVonEvil

Hi Baron,

Would you mind supplying a bit more info on the aircraft such as the type of engine and whether it is mounted with the heads up or down (inverted). The other thing is the terminology as to what you are describing to reduce any confusion.

I can measure all of the angles on my aircraft but it wil be a few days before I can get back to you. A picture would help

Cheers,

Guest BaronVonEvil

Hi Bilby,

The Drifter is a two place version. It will have a Rotax 582 mounted inverted. The wings are rigged with the flying wires instead of struts.

The first thing I did was to level the main fuselage to work from that point. Next I measured the angle of the steel engine support tube that runs fore and aft between the two main wing supports.

It is the angle of the engine support tube I'm trying to determine. As soon as I can I will try and post pictures of the plane and tubes in question.

Thanks Bilby for your help.

Best Regards

BaronVonEvil