Coolant temp gauge

skeptic36

Hi all,

My coolant temp gauge has failed 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif, and I am wondering how to diagnose whether it is the sender or the actual guage.

I have a small digital multimeter but no clue of how to use it :confused:.

Any ideas (read step by step instruction) would be appreciated.

Regards Bill

My money's on the sender.

Hi Dexter,

It's lucky it's only your money and not your house, 'cause the sender is fine 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I thought I would then check the wire (not sure which is the continuity setting on the meter though), a nice thin little brown wire departing the sender AND A WHOLE HEAP OF THICKER WIRES arriving at the back of the guage 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif, none of which are brown :confused:. It had got a bit dark on me by then, so I'll have to suss that out another day.

Regards Bill

Guest ozzie

Just a tip or two

when checking the wires for continuity ie broken wire. disconnect the wires from BOTH the gauge and the sender. a digital multimeter has usually two ohm settings on it, 200Kohm and 2k ohm, the ohm sign looks like a circle with a line on the base. either one will do for this test. with the meter set you will get an OL reading when you place the probes on the wire you will get a reading close to zero usually a bit above showing some resistace in the wire. when taking the reading move the wire back and forth at the connector it may have a dodgey or broken wire at the crimp (common problem). to check the gauge, if it is a needle type (steam gauge).you should get a reading of some sort across the two terminals. with a needle type multimeter you still set it the same and you should get a deflection when you touch the two probes together. same type of test for the sender the ohm readng should change as it becomes hotter. if unsure repeat the test with another seder/gauge if it is available.

hope ths helps you out.

ozzie

BTW if you can't get to each end of the wire with the meter just earth one end of the wire to the airframe and put on probe on the wire and the other probe to the airframe