Any one Aviating around Mackay?

There are a couple of strips north of Mackay that have RAA but no school. I'm sure Maj Millard will drop in here soon at fill you in (he's up in the townsville area but used to work out of Hamilton Island) It would be good to see an RAA school start up its the perfect spot for a Thruster/Drifter cruising the beachs!

Sorry have a bit more time on my hands here today. Yes a Class D tower ( I think Mackay is class D??? its been over a year since I've been up there) Can permit you to operate in the airspace with prior approval. The easist way is to give them a call (phone number is in the ersa) and have a chat. If your around the airfield go up and say hello they get pretty bored! and it will give them a face to remeber and make them more likely to let you in the airspace. Pat is the bloke who has the Drifter (fisher actually) really nice guy. I think one of the operaters complained about him flying his "ultralight" into the "operators" airport so he was giving it a break for awhile.

Well if you are going all that way I'd go to Airlie Beach instead of Mackay (or Hamilton Island) much nicer than Mackay. I can give you contact details for one of the controler as Hamilton island who would be more than happy to help you out.

Nothing against Mackay but I am with Adam on this one...Mackay is a great place to live but there is nothing much here for the tourist...all the action happens just a bit further north at Airlie and the Whitsunday Islands...

Of course you should drop in...it is on the way.

Guest Maj Millard

Mackay is a bit of a funny area for recreational strips. I have flown through the area lots on my way North, usually tracking from Hedlow Field (near Rockhampton), to Proserpine for a fuel stop. There is Helmut just North at Seaforth with the Terrier factory, but I believe his strip is short and sort of private. There was also a fly-in a couple of years ago at Bulls Bay ? north of Mackay with a strip just in from the beach, don't know what become of that though. There was a strip south at Camilla, and I believe the owner had an Avid flyer.

The Gazelle mentioned may belong to Horizon Air (Brian Ware) who I believe could be training out of Mackay, but I think it is VH regoed. I did hear recently that he was looking for RAA aircraft to cross hire for UL type training.

Further North of course you've got Lakeside at Bloomsbury. The controller mentioned with the Drifter at Mackay, would have to be Rosco the controller from Hamilton Is. wouldn't it?. If it's not him I do know people who know him and I could probabily get a phone No for you. If you would like me to dig deeper, get back to me as I can put you in contact with pilots at Mackay, or Lakeside airpark for more current info..........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Yes your probably right Adam, hope your well mate. Did you know the offical opening of WAVE is on May 2-3 ?....I'm going to try and get down for a beer or two with the boys. Hey Adam, would happen to have a number for Mozartmerv out at Camden, I need to get in contact with him, Thanks mate.....or anyone else for that matter ??

There is a Jab120 recently arrived at Mackay...apparently owned by a local...would be great if there were some Ra-Aus aircraft for hire here...I am looking at getting my license very soon and the only option will be to buy an aircraft in order to fly...having a Jab for hire would be a big help...I could buy a single seat machine for my own flying and hire a 2 seater for taking family or friends. I have been trying to phone a guy called Wayne who is advertising a single seat T83 Thruster in the latest Ra-Aus magazine but he is not answering...I know...I know...It is all backwards buying an aircraft before the license but the price looks good and according to TOSG it is in great shape. Could store it for a few months at home while I complete my training and sit in it making airplane noises meantime....much like I did when I got my motorcycle before I got my license a few years back.