Trike v Drifter

savnett

Hi All,

My name's Paul, based in Benalla. I'm VERY new to flying having only had a trial Trike flight way back in 2003. Finally have the opportunity to commit to a cert but not sure which direction to take - WS or 3-axis ? :confused:

Had my heart set on a Trike but have also looked at Drifters.

Drifters (seconds) are within budget and obviously more akin to "real" aircraft and would make for an obvious step up to something else should the budget permit in the future.

The only go I've had in the Trike was so much fun I couldn't think of anything else - (for the last 6 years) and am looking at these as well although they appear to be more $$ than the drifter??? Certainly newbies are out of the question.....

Would be keen to hear others opinions on the pros and/or cons of either type aircraft and also from anyone who has done both - i.e. cost/time to change over etc

Cheers:big_grin:

G'day and Welcome Paul,

Well I haven't ever been in a Trike or WS aircraft before, but have over 15hrs in a Drifter...

I reckon myself that it would be worth the money to learn 3-axis aircraft first off, then if you want to fly a trike later on, go into that then...(just my thoughts remember). One reason is, that a trike for steering it on the ground you use you feet like the old billy cart style, so when you jump into an acft (3 axis) its all the other way around, which in my opinion would be harder to go from that then the other way around, because you've got to use your feet a lot more on 3axis stuff (obviously)...

A Drifter is a great way to learn to fly, it makes for a great training platform to transfer up later on... I've found that out anyway, with jumping into a Jab, etc... But It will possibly take you a bit longer to go solo as such in a Drifter... (A bit like learning in a Manual vehicle, then going to an Automatic transmission...) If you get my drift:big_grin:

If you like you can go to http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/general-discussion/21618-drifter-vs-jabiru-training.html Where I've asked the similar question whether to train in a Jab or the Drifter... (not a trike, but you might be able to see some benefits about the Drifter):thumb_up:

So If you ask me, If you've got the choice, and would like to maybe upgrade in the 3axis group later on, I'd go for the Drifter...:thumb_up:

Have fun...:big_grin:

Drifters (seconds) are within budget and obviously more akin to "real" aircraft and would make for an obvious step up to something else should the budget permit in the future.

Would be keen to hear others opinions on the pros and/or cons of either type aircraft

Hi Paul and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif to the forum,

I don`t know," Drifters more akin to "real" aircraft ",whats the world coming to?;)

You need to determine exactly what it is you want from your aircraft then choose the one that best meets your needs ,the best way to do this is to have a go at both.

To look at the pros and cons,we need to examine,compare and judge them against something,for example," Which aircraft handles a cross wind best",and so on,so you really need to know what you`re looking for.

To my mind, it is very difficult to make a decision based on someones else`s opinion as someones else`s opinion is simply that.

Cheers,

Frank.

Guest travis

drifter vs trike

hi paul , i started in a trike and have now done recreational licence in 3 axis . it isnt a big cost to up grade to 3 axis so i wouldnt let the cost bother you on that decison. ws and 3 axis are two completely different experiences so you could take that in to concideration to .

as Frank has pointed out its an individual choice based on personal preferences, but if I was forced to choose between the two having flown both i would go for the Drifter without a doubt. you can literally force your way through any challenging conditions in a drifter whereas one needs a bit of raw muscle power combined with quick reflexes to do it in a trike. having said that trikes are a great fun machines in suitable conditions and may not need hangrage as well- fold the wing and store in your garage.

this choice is a difficult one as both have different flying qualities, more like comparing a sports car with a motorbike. it will be tough convincing a bykie of the merits of a sports car and vice-versa. may be have a go at both and then decide

Guest Crezzi

I don't believe the total hours to learn on a trike and then do a conversion onto a drifter wouldn't be much different from doing it the other way round.

There aren't too many schools still operating Drifters - if you have one near you then arrange a TIF but I'd say go with your heart !

New, top of the range, trikes are expensive but you should be pick up a few year old Edge X 582 for less than $20K or an XT 582 for $30K and a Redback would be even cheaper .

Cheers

John

Paul,

It all depends on what you want to get out of flying, do you want to get from A to B, fly around your local area, or just get your feet off the ground for the lowest cost.

Dont forget powered parachutes and gyros, have a TIF in them all to get a good idea of whats out there ( dont rely on others to tell you ). This is my opinion only but I have a number of hrs in GA, 3 axis, and powered parachutes. I have also had TIFs in gyros and trikes and I love them all but I cant afford them all. for me the cheapest form of flying is powered parachutes, and there great fun but they do have draw backs. but its cheap and I can keep it at home and take it where ever I want on the trailer ( you can also do this with trikes and gyros ) When I want to get some time in 3 axis I go out and hire a plane for an hour or so, that way I have the best of a least two forms of flying.

Good luck.