Airborne -accident

Guest kiwilad

Guest Decca

Kiwilad, others may have, I had not except for your previous posts and Ozzie's link above to the airworthiness advice of the NZ CAA. Terrible outcome especially as I think you knew the crew.

My thoughts are with you, regards from Decca.

Guest kiwilad

It would be a good thing if the guys on here that fly those trikes had a real close look,because the machine that went in was less than a year old(commercial use though)

Guest Maj Millard

Not a trike expert or pilot myself, but from talking with Andrew Hicks lately it appears that there have been several incidents/accidents involving Airborne LE spar tube failures ?.....I seem to also recall reading some kind of CASA/ATSB report on the subject recently, my apologies to Airborne if I have the brand name wrong.....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Airborne Spars

Not a trike expert or pilot myself, but from talking with Andrew Hicks lately it appears that there have been several incidents/accidents involving Airborne LE spar tube failures ?.....I seem to also recall reading some kind of CASA/ATSB report on the subject recently, my apologies to Airborne if I have the brand name wrong.....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi

Is this what he is referring to ?

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2006/AAIR/pdf/aair200601173_001.pdf

Ray

Guest Crezzi

I believe it was RAAus who requested the ATSB to do a metalurgical evaluation of a couple of failed wingspars. My recollection of their findings was that there was no manufacturing or material defect and the failures were due to -ve G loadings. They weren't asked & therefore didn't comment on the cause of the -ve G other than observing that it is likely to happen outside the permitted flight envelope. AFAIK there hasn't yet been an RAAus report on the accidents themselves.

-ve G leading edge failures aren't something that is unique to Airborne - there have been similar cases from other trike manufacturers. They all fail in the same place because the wing designs are similar in that the leading edge outers aren't supported. Think of it like a 3-axis with a strut braced wing - excessive load will generally cause failure just outboard of the strut because thats the point with the most load that isn't being braced.

Hope that helps

John

PS I only fly and maintain trikes not design them so I wouldn't call myself an expert in this either

Guest Maj Millard

Yes TACKTOP, I believe that's the report I read, but that's about where my knowledge on the subject ends I'm afraid......................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest kiwilad

Hi guys

The initial note I tried to link you too ( thanks Ozzie) is what has come from CAA here in NZ, over a double fatality over here about 8-10 weeks ago.It has certainly caused a bit of a stir here amoung Airboune flyers.Sounds like the report youv'e mentioned was an earlier event

Hi guysThe initial note I tried to link you too ( thanks Ozzie) is what has come from CAA here in NZ, over a double fatality over here about 8-10 weeks ago.It has certainly caused a bit of a stir here amoung Airboune flyers.Sounds like the report youv'e mentioned was an earlier event

The other link below investigated 3 different accidents one 2005 another 2006 and a similar previous one in 1997 and as Crezzi correctly noted all were attributed to -g forces where the quote "Such loading was likely if the aircraft entered or encountered flight conditions outside of the manufacturer’s specified flight envelope".

As it is a Technical Analysis the report did not determined why or how they ended up in that situation in the first place.

Spoke to airborne today and while it not my place to comment for them, their response was positive. So for any Airborne owners who are ( rightfully) concerned I would suggest a friendly phone call may be useful.

It looks like this has also happened in South Africa in 2008 resulting in double fatality. There was a recommendation to ground airborne trikes there.

The excerpt below quotes from the first post at:

www.microlighters.co.za • View topic - A matter of safety ( Urgent )

I'm not sure of the outcome of their investigation.

------------------------------------------

... Quote ...

A matter of safety ( Urgent )

by Leprachaun » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi Folks after the fatal accident at Groblersdal last weekend I as safty officer of MISASA have requested CAA to "ground " all Airborne Edge aircraft till we have clarity re the wing failure on Kevin Manions Airborne XT.

CAA and the manufacturer are busy trying to find a solution. I have recovered the wreckage and "re assembled " the wing on my premises and are waiting for Jenya and a visit from CAA to determine the way forward .

I would suggest you have a competent AP inspect your wing/ leading edges to determine if it shows any signs of fatique / stress before you decide to fly again. CAA comitted to contact the 9 remaining owners of Airborne products re the above issues .

Should you know somone who owns one please contact them with urgency to inspect the plane before further flights are undertaken

CAA - Andre Swanepoel can be contacted re this matter . Its a life thretening situation , and I feel it should be treated as such , Leprachaun.

... End Quote ...

Guest Crezzi

Its worth pointing out that a subsequent post, after the trike in SAfrica had been examined, reported that "the wing strut broke on impact as the break was forward with lots of compression".

So seemingly, whatever the cause was, its not directly related to the the cases in the ATSB report Though the report doubtless contributed to the initial recomendation not to fly them until the wing spars had been examined.

Cheers

John