Contra circuits

K-man

Some time back there was an advisory circular AC 91-220(0) regarding operations at non-controlled aerodromes. http://www.casa.gov.au/newrules/parts/091/download/ac091-220.pdf

In particular:

9. CIRCUIT DIRECTION

The regulations permit turns contrary to the recommended circuit direction subject to

supplementary safety procedures. Left-hand circuits should be performed unless righthand circuits are recommended for the particular runway, but the pilot may use a contrary direction if it is safe to do so (CASR 91.220 (2)). In assessing the safety of a contrary turn the pilot should take into account, among other things, the prevailing visibility, the probable expectations of other pilots, and the possibility of a missed broadcast.

This was followed up with: http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2003/jan/60-61.pdf which clarified the situation.

Now, I can't find any other reference to CASR 91.220 so I don't know if the rule was enacted or not. (RAA does refer to this rule but only by the number, not its content.)

The reason for the interest is this. Under certain circumstances (not denoted in ERSA or in a controlled airport) is it allowable to fly a RH circuit if conditions dictate? Common sense says yes and the proposed rule would have allowed it but I can find no further reference to it. 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Guest TOSGcentral

It will be interesting to see the response to this one - because some folk are blind paranoid about contra's!

I have done a LOT of contra cct work, never had a 'moment' and have my own views.

But I will sit and wait to see how this turns out before I stick my bib in further.

Clearly the term "safe to do so" has a different meaning for many of us. People like myself would only do it if it was definitely safer to do so than doing the standard procedure. For others it seems to mean "I can do it because it is more convenient (for me) or because 'standard' is boring and, it hasn't killed me/us yet".

I would lean towards TOSGcentral's "blind paranoid" because the people similar to my second example scare the crap out of me whether they are on the road (two of my friends who liked to go over crests on the wrong side, in the dark, no lights on and say "see, no one was there!") or in the air.

As I am still new to flying I would love to know why some examples of when someone would do it, especially regularly.

I am putting this back on the agenda as it seems to have dropped off the back end. There must be someone out there with some ideas.:hittinghead:

aviation law can sometimes be very vague, and in cases like this its vague for a reason, such as bad weather approaching might make flying a normal left hand circuit impossible without loosing sight of the field, or remaining in VMC, and hence the vagueness is a way out to allow you to safely land with a Right hand circuit and not actually break any laws.

but the general rule is Left hand circuits at all times, unless specified in the ERSA and as required at certain airports, for such things as terrain avoidance, noise abatement etc. the reason for this is Visibility and hence, safety. you can keep a good eye on the circuit traffic, and the airstrip, from the left hand seat.

We are blest with an ERSA entry that states

"Right hand circuits 09 HN "

Often an aircraft will perform a Right hand circuit in broad daylight, many times it is one with an instructor on board.

We fly RH circuits from time to time in a CTAF®. It's useful training for students to see the approach from a different perspective. Has some relevance in preparation for practice forced landings - where we are going to tell student that you turn whichever direction is going to save your bacon.

happy days,