Failed agian the CLWA

Guest kar200

Guest kar200

HI guys,

I failed again the CLWA. The question are really tricky I must add. I thought I went through everything but I still failed.

I can only remeber a few tricky questions and I thought someone would be able to help me to find the answer - I went through the bob tait book I am using and could nto find anything.

The question was when does a pilot change the QNH from local to regional. I think the pilot was taking off to fly at 9000 feet.

The I cannot remeber the answers but it was different levels "like at 3000 or 5000 or just before TOC" and something else.

Can someone please help me or just give me where to look in the books.

K.

Guest Ken deVos

Check out the Visual Flight Rules Guide under 'Altimeter Setting Rules' on page 215.

The diagram therein shows setting of area-QNH just prior to top of climb (and being less than the transition layer where you would otherwise set it to 1013).

Guest kar200

Thanks Ken I really apprecitae the quick response.

I am taking the test again next week and I will post any other question I can remember.

K.

Guest kar200

Hi again,

first of all I have downlaod this guide fromt he Casa website and I cannot beleive I did not know it even existed. it has got all the info needed and I am buying this soon for the flight part.

Back to the CLWA, I have bought the Bob Tait Exams and I have done 1 last night "and 3 to go". Most of the questions I get wrong are the ones about which level should an aircraft fly at.

Basically I know that from 0 - 179 it is odd + 500 and 180 - 359 it is even + 500.

Also on the book it talks about the exception if you are flying below 5000 you can fly any level as long as you keep a good lookout.

Now when the cloud gets involved I get a bit lost "or I should say I get the answer wrong".

as far as I understad is that if the flight is in reduced VMC and below 3000 you just need to be clear of cloud.

I cannot find a clear document about how the cloud changed the assigned level. Can someone please point me to the right direction?

Thanks again,

K.

I cannot find a clear document about how the cloud changed the assigned level. Can someone please point me to the right direction?

The cloud doesn't affect the cruising levels, but does affect what is defined as VMC - ie as you say, in Class G below 3000 or within 1000 of ground VMC is 5000m and just clear of cloud and in sight of ground provided you have radio.

The bit about below 5000 is here in the AIP (ENR 1.7 - 6):

"VFR flights must be operated at levels selected in accordance with Section 5, Table B “VFR Table of Cruising Levels” when at a height above 5,000FT AMSL, and must be operated at such levels when below 5,000FT AMSL, whenever practicable (CAR 173)."

Note that IFR levels are on the 1000's, not the 500's.

Guest Decca

Hi K

As a forum member has already reminded me elsewhere, the VFR Guide is already a bonus addition to you RAAus Operations manual CD. You don't have to download it.

Decca.

Guest kar200
The cloud doesn't affect the cruising levels, but does affect what is defined as VMC - ie as you say, in Class G below 3000 or within 1000 of ground VMC is 5000m and just clear of cloud and in sight of ground provided you have radio..

Hi Graeme and thanks for your reply. I think I must have not read the questions properly. the questions I am talkign about is that there is for example a SCT cloud at 3000 and they ask what is the minimum level the arcraft can fly at "which woudl be at least 4000 wouldn't?".

I am really happy to have found this forum with so much help by the way. I tried to find a course for just Air Law during after hours "as I work full time" and only found on at TAFE that starts in Septembre.

Decca, I went to the RAAus website but could not find the Operations manual CD that you mentionned. Is this something they sell?

K.

Decca, I went to the RAAus website but could not find the Operations manual CD that you mentionned. Is this something they sell?

It comes free with RAAus membership!

Not sure I understand your question re cloud - since you mention minimum I assume you mean you're above the cloud? Then you'd have to be at least 1000 feet above the top of the cloud layer.

Guest kar200

Hi All,

I have taken the test again and password eith %90. Thanks again for all the help. They had a problem yesterday with at ASL where no exam got marked on the spot. they had to call back everyone today and I got my results over the phone.

Now I need to concentrate on the flying part. I can only do this during week ends. I am pretty sure this question came up a few times on this forum so I will do a search.

If anyone has an advice on which school to go to in the Sydney area for conversion training please let me know.

Thanks again eveyrone and you have been a great help.

k.