Hi

jabpilot

Guest Decca

Hi jabpilot, this is my :welcome:to the forums. There will be plenty of opportunities to contribute as so many are looking for answers.

What is your background (how many hours), and what are the benefits of your airpark?

Glad to hear from you, regards,

Decca.

Guest Brett Campany
Hi all!Thought I had better join this and add my contribution.

G'day mate, welcome along! You'll find this place very addictive and also very helpful!

Hi Jabpilot and welcome. Good to see you fly the good plastic. I take it that you are referring to the airpark just outside Howard and a beautiful part of the world it is at that.

Are others welcome to land there and if so, who can give permission and what fees are there for doing so? It's close to some family I have in the area and I've always wondered if outsiders can fly in there.

I have around 500 hours on Jabs. Currently flying my second 'owner built', the first being a Jab SP500 that I didn't really want to sell but my partner threated death if I took her to another country airfield with no option other than to walk into town. This current J200 often has folding push bikes in the back. I'm saved!

Pacific Haven Airpark is 5 nm north of Howard, 19nm west of Hervey Bay, 20 nm south of Bundy and the northern end of the park is 100 meters from the Burrum River - great sight on approach from that end. Strip & taxi ways are all-weather, bitumen, almost dead flat(aircraft at each end of strip can see each other), 1000 mtrs long with a further 500 mtrs of mown grass over-run. Landing fees are $20 but fee is waived for residents, their guests, invitees, emergency services, military(we have had Hercs in here), or pilots in distress.

That'll do for now or I won't have anything to say next time!

Sounds good JP. I have some friends who have a little shack at Pizzies (i think it's called) just near the end of the estate on the Burrum River. Very nice indeed.

Sounds like a great place for a fly in! ;)

Guest dilojem

Just love those Jabi's! And you mention the landing fees... who actually pays... there are SO many exclusions! lol 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hi Di,

I'll bet you never thought you'd get so many pen friends so fast!

Yeah, not much money actually passes our way. We see our lifestyle here as a privilege and the facility should benefit the general community where possible. I am currently negotiating for a doctor to fly in once a month or thereabouts, also free of airfield charges, in order to service his local non-flying patients in this area as a community service.

The arrangements of the airpark here are unique. I know of no other airpark setup like in the country. The 14 residential freehold lots here range from 2.5 acres to around 15 acres. Most of us pay less than $1000 a year in council rates as we are regarded as being out in the sticks and although this would have to be one of, if not the finest private airfield in the country, we pay no ongoing fee for use. There is no body corporate. When we are out mowing our own property we simply continue with doing some of the "common areas". Those who have visited regularly comment on the pristine level of maintenance and they think it costs us a fortune! ;) Access to the strip via taxiway is enshrined by easement detailed in each title deed. (ie. the taxiways cross each adjoining owners properties). If one of us sees a maintenance issue (eg. a broken runway light lens - we have PAL lighting - caused perhaps by kangaroo running into it) we just fix it. No money changes hands. We put up a new windsock recently where seven or eight of us mixed & poured concrete and hoisted the mast. The system works stunningly well and has done for more than 25 years.

Socially, we have impromptu BBQ's monthly or so. There is currently a flurry of activity in the building of pizza ovens at the moment so we really do just have to test each airpark residents oven performance, don't we!:thumb_up:

Seriously, there is a down side. You have to literally wait for someone to die before you can get in. Our place was previously 'sold' to a couple who flew in to sign the contract in a flash, expensive european aircraft that had obvious engine problems. They signed the purchase contract and before the ink was dry had fatally crashed on takeoff, just outside the airfield, determined to get home. Although seen by those at the scene to be trying to escape the wreckage, the two occupants were trapped inside. It took emergency services 2 hours to put the fire out.They had turned down the offer of a free night in order to fix the engine problem the next day. They didn't want to be late for work. Heroic would-be rescuers were later treated for serious burns. A flower monument now exists at the crash site.

The industry calls it 'get-home-itis'. In a twist of fate, this tragic event then allowed us to buy the property.

A sad note to end on but if we sweep this stuff under the rug, no-one learns anything.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest dilojem

Yeah Mark... you are right... so many friends... so little time... ah!

I can see why you just LOVE where you are... sounds like pacific heaven (not haven)!

OMG... the crash... what an awful legacy... my thoughts go out to the people who died... very sad circumstances. And yes I agree.. we all need to take stock of these things that DO happen out there and not think we are invincible... and in the scheme of a lifetime... what is one day off work for the sake of a safety? d