Townsville is a very big place (what a surprise package)

Guest watto

Guest watto

Hi to all, flew the Jab to Townsville on Saturday morning and had a great trip! the 230 went like a dream.

As I approached Montpelier air park I heard a lightwing had departed so I asked which runway was in use and to my surprise a voice came back,"is that you Watto?" and as it turns out it was our own Maj Millard, thanks for the rundown on the strip mate it was a great help and we made a good landing on 25 and taxied up to meet Andrew who was helpful when I rang and just as personable in person.

We are heading back tomorrow and am looking forward to the flight home.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Watto, shame we didn't actually meet in person, but now you know where we are, you can come back sometime. We all had a great time at the Ingham Fly-in, which was a huge success,(see additional post) and I noticed the Watto Jab parked in front of my hangar when we returned around 12.30 pm today. Safe travels Mate, Cheers Maj...........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

A close encounter of the Watto kind !!...................................:thumb_up:

People you meet... err hear, when you ain't got a shotgun.....!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

So Maj, do you carry around an encyclopedia of all the rego numbers so you can tell who's who....? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Maj Millard

No Tomo, I was half expecting Watto to come into Montpelier and when I heard Jab inbound to Montpelier, I put 2 and 2 together. I was right for a change. We don't have any resident Jabs at Montpelier currently.

............................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Cloudsuck

Hey Watto, I flew up to Rocky on Thursday and left Friday for home. I gave you a thought as I tracked west of Gladstone area. Next time I'll take a little more time and call in. Trip was only 3 hours from Boonah, not too bad.

No Tommo, I was half expecting Watto to come into Montpelier and when I heard Jab inbound to Montpelier, I put 2 and 2 together. I was right for a change. We don't have any resident Jabs at Montpelier currently.............................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yeah, I half thought that must have been the case! But thought I'd ask anyway...025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Guest Orion

We don't have any resident Jabs at Montpelier currently.

.................................................. ..........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj. Millard

So the repellants still working properly eh ?

Guest Maj Millard

Tomo, doesn't hurt to ask mate, and yes the repellant works well. Don't know what time Watto is leaving in the morning, I might still run into him as I have to fly up to Ingham in the morning for work, and he is parked right in front of my hangar, we'll see....................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

He's in the open on the grass, and I'm in the hangar, we do have our priorities sorted up here, even if he is a visitor. (he does have a nice cover on the Jab, sort of like a big swine flu mask)..................006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif:jump:

Dont want to hijack the thread but I'm working in Townsville for the next 7 weeks and would love to come and say Hello, I think I may have even riden past today on the way to the Charters Towers show (I was bored !) any day better than another Sat/Sun ? Only got my Licence 4 weeks ago so any excuse to see anything that flies is a good one.

cheers,

Art

Hi, Art. If you're working in Townsville, why not pop into the Aero Club for a beer sometime!! It is at the airport 47792069 after 4:30pm. Amongst the others, Frank and I are both Jab owners and Forum members. Would love to see you.

John

Guest watto

Hi gang, all back to Rodds Bay safe and sound and I actually did run into the major this morning before I left so now I can put a face to the name.

Cloudsuck, by all means next time give us a call and pop in for a coffee!!

This flying thing certainly has openned up a whole new world of opportunity to meet new friends and catch up with old ones which was why I went to Townsville as my wife and her best friend from school in the Philippines who had not seen each other for as it turns out 35 years (just before I was born I tried to point out! but that is another thread on domestic violence)

We got shown around a few of the local sights and as usual the cargo area was fuller coming home than it was on the way up.

We had a great trip up with a 15knot tail wind and half way home was ok with a 10 to 15 knot head wind but as predicted in the av weather it turned into a 30 knot cross wind on the way home after Moranbah and things were pretty interesting for the next couple of hours with moderate turbulence and the wind swinging around cross / head and back every few seconds, but all into the experience bucket!!

All in all a great trip but a little to short, next time a longer stay.

Guest Maj Millard

Watto, Good to meet you and the gang even if it was short. I must say you'r engine did fire right up, and it sounded real nice. I listened to another one yesterday at Ingham, and it didn't seem to sound as good. Good to hear you got back safe. And Yes, you always do learn something new flying cross-country don't you, especially on a route you haven't tried before. ?....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest watto

Sure Do Major, I enjoyed it very much though!

Next time we get up we will make a point of catching up for a bite somewhere.