Howdy all

Semps

Guest Decca

Welcome to the forums, Semps.

Your instructor may have something to recommend.

From a free perspective there is the "ground training school" series on your RAAus CD, then commercial books from something like Aviation Theory College (ATC) and Doug Taite, and others.

No need to get too heavily into debt until you've got all you can from the RAAus series of tutorials, though sometimes it tends to get a bit complex.

Regards, Decca.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Thanks Decca,

My instructor said it would be a good idea to wait until the end of my temporary membership to make sure I like it before I go and purchase any material.

I'll take your information on board.

Guest Decca

I hope you enjoy your "introduction" to what so many of us love doing, and you continue with it if you can.

Decca:cool:.

I reckon See How it Flies is a good free reference for the theory (and practice) of flight - albeit it gets a bit technical at times. Another good read is "Stick and Rudder" - it was written in the '40's but is still relevant today.

The FAA website also has heaps of interesting stuff (although not all applicable to Oz).

As Decca suggests, your instructor will have his own preferences as to training books, so best to wait!

Guest studentbiggles

:welcome:Semps, I'm a (Wanabe,Newbe) like you....I'm up to my 3rd lesson on the 12thAug and the manual that I'm using is the (ATC) Student Pilot Set, purchased throuh this sites on line store "Clear Prop" (great valued to Ian):thumb_up:!!!@$125....Lots to read and take in but good summaries @ end of exercise.....Keep going with your flying...Best thing I ever did:clap:..and this site is full of great pilots that are willing to help and share ...Keep it in the "Green" Cheers Studentbiggles (Alley)

Yep, the ATC set is good (and my personal preference) but many prefer the Bob Tait series. Bob Tait seems to have a knack of explaining things in simple terms and is a much easier read - so it comes down to personal preference I guess.

Your instructor will help you - but the other book (actually looseleaf folder) is put out by D-H Training Systems. You don't see them often (I got mine from the flying school, but they no longer have them here). It's called "Ground Training Manual" and it's specifically written for RA students, hence covers the RA-specific stuff that will be in your exams but not covered in the other books. It also has a programmed study plan and practice exams which closely follow the actual RA-Aus exams. It is probably the best resource if you want to do your own study - it covers BAK, Air Leg and radio endorsement. Maybe on for Ian to check out.

Cheers

Guest studentbiggles

Ground Traing Manual

keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif HI GraemeK, thanks for the info on the "Ground Traing Manual"...is there anyway of getting a copy???...I'm finding the home study (and being a bit out of practice for many years) a bit of a slog....I'm thinking of getting in touch with some of the more experienced pilots in my area to see if I can get some coaching in between my training lessons with my CFI....What do you and other pilots think????....Cheers Studentbiggles (Alley)091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Guest studentbiggles

R: Training Manuals

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Hi GraemaK, thanks for the info on RAAus Training Manual.....Ordered one last on the site you provided...I'll let you know if I can comprehend and absorb the info in these texts betteri_dunno....I,m off to my first Aust, Womens Pilot Ass. dinner in Adelaide on Firday night (great to get away, been a while???)...Fly Safe Cheers Studentbiggles (Alley):thumb_up:

Hope it works for you - the big advantage is that it only covers the stuff you need for the RA-Aus exams, but more importantly, ALL of the stuff you need.

The ATC and Bob Tait books, while excellent, don't cover the specific RA issues you will be examined on.

Will be interested to hear what you think!