WANTED 912 exhaust

Guest Paul

Thanks for that, I forgot about themI got a quote from Airborne and they wanted over $3000, should have known

I don't think the one from Bert Flood will be ceramic coated.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Not sure on the cost of having it done.

Guest Maj Millard

No but quality stainless, and you should be able to get a lot of use out of it if you set it up right..... and........you'll be able to actually see any cracks if and when they happen................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

No but quality stainless, and you should be able to get a lot of use out of it if you set it up right..... and........you'll be able to actually see any cracks if and when they happen................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The stainless way is the wrong way to go on a trike.

I have that T shirt. Exhaust cracked in under 60 hours and had to replace,

Airborne had many come backs on the stainless exhausts cracking, fortunately mine was replaced under warranty.

The original exhaust was a stainless one and ceramic coated.

Exhaust

Hi McGuiver

Was interested to see that you thought that stainless steel was the wrong way to go on your trike.When I got my Savannah the previous owner told me that he had just spent $1200 on the exhaust getting it repaired after it fell apart. I flew it back and after 10 hours it had failed again.Not only had one of the pipes broken off but an internal baffle had come adrift .Not a problem as I run a welding business however I did notice that originally it had been mig welded probably with a small single phase machine and set to run rather cold,lack of fusion and penetration resulted in an early failure.I took it apart and re welded it tig using a 316 filler with pure argon .I have since done 110 hours and have not had any further cracking.

I have noticed on some tig welded ss systems that the throat thickness of the weld is insufficient which results in cracking.This is caused by either not using or using too little filler wire. I would have thought that a treated steel system would have been more malleable and less prone to cracking although it would be more prone to corrosion. What did you end up using ?

Dave

Hi McGuiverWas interested to see that you thought that stainless steel was the wrong way to go on your trike.When I got my Savannah the previous owner told me that he had just spent $1200 on the exhaust getting it repaired after it fell apart. I flew it back and after 10 hours it had failed again.Not only had one of the pipes broken off but an internal baffle had come adrift .Not a problem as I run a welding business however I did notice that originally it had been mig welded probably with a small single phase machine and set to run rather cold,lack of fusion and penetration resulted in an early failure.I took it apart and re welded it tig using a 316 filler with pure argon .I have since done 110 hours and have not had any further cracking.

I have noticed on some tig welded ss systems that the throat thickness of the weld is insufficient which results in cracking.This is caused by either not using or using too little filler wire. I would have thought that a treated steel system would have been more malleable and less prone to cracking although it would be more prone to corrosion. What did you end up using ?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I went back to mild steel ceramic coated.

I have done over 1000hrs with 912 motors and the stainless exhaust was the only problem one.