Memory Battery for GPS

Guest JRMobile

Guest JRMobile

My trusty old Garmin "GPSIII Pilot" flashed an error message at me yesterday.

Memory Battery Low Power

The book tells me the battery should be replaced by an authorized service center.

Question : Has any one had this problem and where did you get it repaired. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

John Reid

The "Problem" will be that when you turn it on, it will take "Forever" to find itself.

Someone else I know was stupid enough to take the batteries out of his GPS - so they wouldn't leak and so damage the unit.

They therefore flattened the memory battery and it took forever to find itself when you turned it on - dispite how nicely you talked to it and ..... a-hem.

So if you are prepared to wait 30 minutes for it to find itself, then: No, no worries.

Other than that I can't say much.

Oh, it *MAY* help to leave the main power batteries in it. Not sure.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Once, my old garmin GPS III gone out of memory battery. This was a simple step for installing another one. Without that, when replacing the main batteries, you're going to loose all waypoints and trip data stored on it.

Huggs!

On the GPS3pilot it is a CR2032 lithium 3.6v button cell with wires that needs replacing inside, it is attached with foam tape to the battery housing.

On the GPS3 model it is a smaller lithium button cell my guess is CR1220 that is tag soldered to the main board.

I just had one each of these open today and replacing the batteries would not be hard

Ralph