New Here

randy

Hi, All.

Just found this site -- almost by accident -- and it looks like a great collection of knowledgeable folks and good info.

I'm a Sport Pilot student -- about 15 hours in so far. Mostly flying a Cessna 172 in dual-instruction, since there are NO light sport aircraft in this area for rent. Dang! Guess I'll have to buy one... but are they ever expensive!!!

Randy

Hi Randy. Welcome to our forums.

Good to see you looking beyond your flight training, but make sure you have that under your belt first.

Which makes/models/prices of Light Sport Aircraft have you seen so far?

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Thank you for the Welcome note. Very nice.

As for looking beyond my training... I really don't have much choice if I'm ever going to get my license. I cannot solo or do my checkride in the Cessna, since I'm going for Sport Pilot (limit of 1320 lbs / 600Kg). I can only do those in a light sport aircraft, which I cannot find near me. So unless I'm content to do dual-instruction forever, I need to do something.

So far I've flown Cessna 172's (too heavy for Sport Pilots), a J-3 Cub (which I could legally fly, but it's several hours drive from my home), a Remos G3 (which I could also solo in legally, except someone ran that one out of fuel and crashed it), and an Ercoupe 415-C (legal for me, but with no rudder control that would be all if could legally fly if I do my checkride in that). So it's a challenge, to be sure.

Next week I will be looking at an Avid Mk-IV with a Rotax 582 motor. Nice airplane, and nearly within my budget. But it's been in storage for 3 years, so I'm a little apprehensive about the condition of the motor. Plus, it's a "silver head" 582, which has a reputation of not being a long-lived or reliable as the "blue head" versions. But if I can get a good deal...

Anyway, that's where I'm at. I'm happy to be here on this site -- it seems like a great plan to find knowledgeable folks. Very nice.

Randy