rotax engine managment

bones

Sometime ago i purchased a 914 rotax that was extensively damaged in a crash, as such the "flydat" was in about 3 pieces, so not usable, what other type of instrument is suitable to monitor a 914, with a reasonable price tag?

Other wise i need a huge instument pod to take enough guages.

Guest Maj Millard

Bones, basically you will need a Rotax 912 tach, CHT (coolant) guage, oil pressure and oil temp, and if you want to get real fussy a fuel pressure guage, and a voltage meter. VDO make the best for the price, and the Rotax senders are set up for them.

If your 914 was 'extensivly' damaged, you may consider sending it to Wal at Bert Floods for a runout check on the crank, plus a check to see if any rods are bent, if the engine was running at the time.........Lest thy failure may beset upon you at an inopropriat time !..................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif

If your 914 was 'extensivly' damaged, you may consider sending it to Wal at Bert Floods for a runout check on the crank, plus a check to see if any rods are bent, if the engine was running at the time.........Lest thy failure may beset upon you at an inopropriat time !..................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif

It was more the gyro it was in that was destroyed, the motor only has hopefully only minor damage, need to get it to run and see if the TCU ect is damaged, if so i will be completely redesigning it, to make it like the RST motor in my Xenon, turbo not controlled by electronics.

In regards to the guages yes i did a count up of those too, and i thought if i could get a modern type for a reasonable price, i could have the egt's and fuel flow, you know crap that you dont really need but good to keep your mind busy, on those days when your sitting in it for 8 hrs, all day every day, day after day orrrrrr sorry 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif:rotary:

Guest Maj Millard

Wether it was a gyro or whatever, if it was running at impact it could have substained damage, and probabily did. For example: I have been working on a Jetranger that had a slight tail strike during landing, when it contacted a alum bin it had been slinging. Just a little strike, but enough to shear all the gearbox mount bolts. Then the gearbox to tail rotor shaft was damaged. The main gearbox and main rotor shaft was found to also be damaged. And on, and on, and on. The machine is still sitting there awaiting on many new parts before it will fly again, just from a little tail rotor strike.

Your talking about an ground impact that destroyed a gyro and killed a bloke. Don't expect that engine to necessarily be fine. As I'm sure you know, there is no fat on a rotary wing craft, everything HAS to work all of the time................................................................................

Yeah i understand all that Maj, but i am hoping that the outlay will be worth it in the long run, it is more of a project, steadily building a machine around it, is the plan.