Hi from PNG

Guest Mangi Wau

Guest Mangi Wau

Hi all,

First time to visit this site (including the old one) as Neil Schaefer was kind enough to keep me in the loop after meeting at Redcliff earlier this year. Completed my trike licence with Rod Tyson od Free Flying in March, before returning to the tiger country of remote PNG.

I live at 3,500' beside a magical, if somewhat angular, airstrip in Wau, Morobe province, surrounded by a huge mountainous valley.

Desperately waiting to buy my first trike to explore the area a we are surrounded by dozens of 'interesting' grass strips with no other access for the locals.

Luckily for me, we have no light aircraft categories or restrictions so the sky is quite literally the limit on the possibilities up here.

Look forward to hearing from you all as I wait for my wife to stop renovating the damned house.

Cheers

G'day Mangi,

The view of that Wau - Bulolo valley will be really something from a trike. I remember some very close looks at the terrain in the Black Cat Gap, and other gaps that I've long since forgotten the names of.

Was in PNG 1961-1970, first with DASF in Hagen,Madang,Kerevat, and 66-70 flew for SPAC, STOL and STOL/Patair out of POM.

Loved the place, but don't hear good news from there nowdays. Guess security is still OK in places like Wau.

Did you know Wau was once the steepest commercial airstrip in the world - since superceded by some strips in Nepal I think.

regards,

Hi

Hi Mangi great to have you with us I am sure you will enjoy this forum as much as I do. I would love to see any pictures you may be able to share with us.

Look forward to hearing from you some more.

Don