Engines

TechMan

A friend has confirmed he believes the Subaru Diesel is based on the H6 with a

common rail injectors. It is also being developed as a twin turbo.

<H1 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0pt" ="bottomrule"></H1>

<H1 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0pt" ="bottomrule">Motoring News</H1>

<H1 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0pt" ="bottomrule">Subaru diesel is boxing clever </H1>

<TABLE style="CLEAR: both; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px; WIDTH: 450px; HEIGHT: 25px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><T>

<T>

<TR vAlign=center></TR></T></T></TABLE>Monday 10th April 2006

Japanese firm Subaru is set to become the first mainstream maker to have a diesel engine in a flat-four boxer layout, when it introduces a brand new 2.0-litre unit in 2008.

The motor, claimed to match BMW's 2.0-litre TD for performance, will be introduced across the range. Sources say the first car to feature it is likely to be the Legacy

Rumors have it as a 2.2L engine, and most likely also turbocharged. I would also expect to see Subaru using an ally block and head, like many modern car diesels. My guess is that Subaru also has a larger version for the Euro-Tribeca. if you add a pair of cylinders to the 2.2 H-4, you end up with a 3.3 H-6, which would be perfect for the larger Tribeca.

This engine is very important for Subaru, as nearly 40% of new cars sold in Europe are diesel-powered. If Subaru really wants to make a dent in that market, diesels are a must-have option. I would also hope that, once these engines prove themselves in Europe, that we would them offered in North America, as other clean diesels are on the way for here.

turtle