Visit to WA & crossing the Bight

Captain

Chris

I'm planning to be over there early May and would like your thoughts on which is the best & most Ultralight friendly strip as close to Perth as possible.

What other options are there?

And are there any traps for young players (or old buggers) in crossing the Nullabore ..... my initial thinking is just Port Augusta, Ceduna, Forrest, then Norseman or Kalgoorlie. Is any route more landable than any others?

Regards Geoff

Guest AusDarren

At 146600M (which starts about 30km south-east of Balladonia and shoots in a straight line all the way to Caiguna) you have the longest emergency runway in the world.. a length of around 90 miles. The flying doc's use it on occasion :-)

Regards,

AusDarren

All being well .... I hope to have the build complete by about end Feb, so it should be debugged and the hours flown off in time to then go down to the Avalon Airshow March 20 - 25 where I will fly behind Roger's 230 and mine can learn the ropes like a new pup, then up to Natfly @ Narromine early April ... so she'll have a few hours on her and will be ready to head over to your way about the 1st week of May.

I met with the guys last week who are motorcycling over and the plan is that there is no firm plan but we reckon on meeting up about Kalgoorlie for a couple of days touristing there, then in to Perth to play up (so lock up your Grandmother), then up to Geraldton/Carnarvon and home.

The bike riders are not going to be tied to a schedule and they'll just do what ever takes their fancy (if the fishing is good at Port Lincoln then they'll stay there until they are sick of it) .... it's all pretty flexible and nobody is in a hurry, so it should be good. Once they are leaving Port Lincoln or Streaky Bay, I'll head off into the next weather window.

It goes without saying, however, that I have bought one of the new GPS EPIRBS.

Regards Geoff

Guest AusDarren

could you tell us a bit more about the GPS EPIRB?

its the first time I've heard of one.

thanks!

Regards,

AusDarren

Apologies for the delay in replying. Have been off flying.

Have ordered one of GME's new 406 MHz MT410G EPIRBS as shown below.

They released info and had them on display at Wings-Over-Wagga last October with a show special price and promised December delivery. There must have been some final problems as they are now saying that they will be available in Feb.

This is the 1st truly personal small 406 MHz unit (in my evaluation) and the GPS location is good for aviation emergency needs, at less than 45 m accuracy with a quick acquisition time.

Just hope it lives up to GME's October hype.

Regards Geoff

GME MT410 Accusat PLB

Description: GME MT410 Accusat PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) 406 EPIRB utilizes the same ground breaking Australian technology that brought the worlds first sub A$1000 406 EPIRB. The GME MT410 Accusat PLB is available in two versions - with or without GPS. They replace the MT310 PLB as the 121/243MHz system is being phased out by Febuary 2009. Features:

•  

• New technology enables this amazing price breakthru.

• High location accuracy - MT410 within 5km, MT410G (with GPS) <45m.

• Instantaneous 406MHz transmission - unique to GME. Less than 1 minute acquisition time (GPS version only).

• Unique digitally coded message enables Rescue authorities to confirm owners identity within minutes, reducing rescue time and false alarms.

• LED strobe light.

• 7 year battery replacement period. Duration: in excess of 24 hours at -20C, longer at higher ambient temperatures.

• Floats in water.

• Supplied with Wrist/Neck strap, Carry Pouch with belt loops.

• Meets UN requirements for transport as Non-hazardous cargo on board passenger aircraft.

135mmH X 71mmW x 38mmD Weight: MT410 235g, MT410G 250g

• 1 month later...

Have only just read your article and would advise to stick with the highway 1 after Ceduna fuel avgas, there are strips at Penong mogas, Yalata mogas,Nullabor avgas, Border village avgas mogas, Eucla mogas,Mundrabilla mogas,Madura mogas,Cocklebiddy both,Caiguna both,Balladonia both, Norsman both,then either contnue west or go down s/w.Forrest is a welcoming stopover but is a very remote flight to and from, theres no one out there in between!!!!

Good luck

Thanks rodr

Forrest looks to be about 120 klicks off the hwy so I thought I might nip up there for the adventure and remoteness of it all ... and to see the rail line.

It looks like an interesting operation at Forrest.

Who owns those other strips that you mentioned as many are not in the ERSA? Is there free access to them or do you need to call ahead for permission to use them?

Regards & thanks again

Geoff

Geoff,

all the strips are owned by the roadhouses and would be free to use without notice, some you can taxi to fuel pump mogas most have overnight accom,i say again Forrest is very remote is just a small railway siding with a large airstrip, the flight out and back is over tiger country no landing areas all small bush and scrub,was used in the early days of aviation for a refuelling stop between Ceduna and Kalgoorlie fuel was delivered by train, and before the highway had established stopovers.The RFDS uses all these other strips regularly and the highway offers a comfort zone with some great coastal views along the nullabor,

Cheers

Rod

Rod

Thanks again for that info and I note your advice about going nth to Forrest.

I appreciate your guidance on all of this.

Re the Roadhouse strips and facilities, which do you reckon is the pick of them as I want to overnight at one?

Regards Geoff

Assuming you refuel at Ceduna with avgas,has 3-4 motels about 2 km walk to town or cab, the next avgas is nullabor taxi up to motel door may pay to ring to book a room as only one motel,good for whales on the cliff edge May to Oct a great sight, next is W.A.border village again the same as Nullabor, then either Cocklebiddy or Caiguna all the same routine,then Norsman, after that depends on your route and would not comment on places after Norsman as i have not travelled by air thru that area.The section between Nullabor and the border has the highway close to coast and if you just sit out from the coast you get a wonderful view of the cliffs all the way a truly great sight.

Rod

I've got 'em, Brent.

It was me that suggested it to Roger and his gang after the 10 plys were referred to me by Aust Sport Aviation at Tocumwal after they had good results with them on their J160.

As I said on another post ... they pretty much resist cathead/caltrop/puncture-vine burrs and the other (BIG) advantage of the ten-plys is that (I am told) they pretty much retain their shape when landing even if one does get a cathead and goes flat in the air.

• 2 years later...

wa trip

hi chris

i have flown kalgoorlie , forest , ceduna , port pirie , bendigo and return. you should do ceduna ,forest ,kalgoorlie in a day not much between ceduna and forest but from forest to kalgoorlie you follow the train track with lot of strip on the side of the track i will be doing this trip in two weeks again the people at forest are great. the motel people at ceduna will pick you up at the air field and take you back in the morning great little trip.as far as fields near perth, serpentine is ok but make sure you take to the sec of the club and not the person in ersa the other field was murray field contact the royal aero club of perth and there will be no trouble also there is fuel there as well.

best of luck keith

Guest mike_perth

Geoff

Re your question on RA freindly strip near Perth the closest would be Murray Field Im pretty sure they take both RA and GA there but might be worth confirming (Im dare I say it from GA land) or Bindoon north of Perth.

South of Perth is Bunbury.

Mike

Guest Brett Campany

Mike's right Geoff, there's Serpentine airfield as well, Bindoon abandoned to the north to. Most of thes fields are located in the Country Airstrips Guide and the Perth VNC.