Hi. Rotax 912UL 80HP O/H help

Guest brenstrum

Guest brenstrum

My Tecnam P92 has an older 912UL Rotax 80HP engine that is close to TBO but still runs very sweetly. I would consider overhauling it. Can anyone give me some help re overhauling this engine as against replacement as I am wanting to sell the aircraft and am constantly reminded by potential buyers about the high hours. Is there:help: an O/H 'kit' available? If I O/H it, does the crankcase have to be replaced or simply checked for cracks every 100hrs? I am getting mixed messages so would appreciate some feedback. Thank you. Mike

Guest Maj Millard

You really need to talk to either Wal at Bert Floods re: Overhaul. The TBO figure has just been extended for some engines, if certain requirements are complied with. Additionally if the aircraft is only used for private use,(no training or hire) you can still operate the engine beyond it's stated TBO under the 'on condition' requirements. What that basically means is that if all the vital signs are good, and the engine is running sweet, you can continue to operate it. You do need to check if your insurance covers you however operating as such. The 80hp 912 is one of the sweetest running engines, and many have been known to exceed TBO figures................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Wal told me that he knows of an 80 hp with almost 5000 hrs on it and has never had a spanner on it. This is not urban myth, it is actual advice from Wal.

Guest brenstrum

Thank you. Much appreciated. They certainly are great engines. Mine does not qualify for the new TBO of 2000, however, I would like to get more written info on the option of running it 'on condition'. Where will I find this written in the rules? Mike.

Guest brenstrum

Hi. Yes, I can believe this. I would love to see some written info regarding the 'on condition' ruling if anyone can help. Thank you for your input. Mike

Guest Maj Millard

The TBO figure like most TBO figures is 'suggested" only, by the engine manufacturer. There are other mandatory requirements stated by the manufacturer, such as the five calendar year replacement of all rubber items. However the rule makers, in our case RAAus, decide that for training purposes and engine should be within manufacturers TBO hours.