80 hp 912 oil leak

Bluey

Hi all:

I've got an 80 hp 912ul with 238hrs on it and it is nearly 12 months old. Today after a flight I noticed a slight oil leak from the right rear cylinder near the cylinder head bolt. Not sure how long the leak has been there. I did an oil change yesterday and the leak is so minor that it is simply a slight discoloration around the site of the leak. No drops are visible below the aircraft. No oil usage has so far been detected and I hope this is just a case of the cylinder head bolt needing a re-torque. If this is all it is, does anyone know the torque for the cylinder head bolts on a 912? Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Bluey

Guest Maj Millard

Bluey, that's probabily all it is, and a slight snick up should stop it. You can download torques and proceedures from Rotax, from the RAAus website. I wouldn't bother backing it off, just check that it is up to torque, check all four if you like. Some owners have noticed that certain oil types used now tend to develop small leaks for some reason, where before there were none. What brand and type oil are you running ?............................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj. Up till yesterday it was using VX 4 I think it was. Now it is using the certified aircraft oil from Shell (Can't for the life of me remember what it is called exactly). Anyway, I can't be sure if the leak is new or whether it has been there for a while as I didn't spot it. I've only had the trike for a few months and so I am still becoming properly acquainted with it. Anyway thanks for the advice. I will check the torques before I fly it again.

Regards: Bluey