Cancel SARTIME -vs- Cancel SARWATCH

Hi. Here's a simple question that should be answered easily (but not by me 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif).

I heard an Air Services safety bloke say "A lot of pilots say 'Cancel SARWATCH' when they mean 'Cancel SARTIME', and they are completely different things". Unfortunately, I didn't ask him at the time what the difference was. I've looked though AIP and ERSA, both of which describe HOW to ask for the two different things, but neither of which say what the different effects are. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

I thought SARTIME is just that, the time when the SARWATCH finishes?

Not sure myself though, something I probably should look into a bit more. i_dunno

May help...

SARWATCH is a generic term covering SAR alerting based on either full-position procedures, scheduled reporting times, or SARTIME. Full-position procedures and scheduled reporting times are only applicable to IFR flights in all airspace classes and most monitored VFR flights operating in controlled airspace. SARTIME is a time nominated by a pilot for the initiation of a SAR action if a report has not been received from the pilot by the nominated Airservices Australia unit.

A VFR pilot operating in Class G airspace may nominate a SARTIME to ATS but the progress of the flight is not monitored, though SAR action will be initiated if there is no communication from the pilot cancelling the SARTIME. Rather than nominating a SARTIME with ATS a flight note lodged with a responsible person, who will raise the alarm should the pilot not report in as scheduled, is preferred for VFR Class G operations.

I'm with CFI on this. Note that SARWATCH is continous, so if you need to change frequency etc you have to notify ATC what you are doing and say you will call again at time xx. If you don't call by that time and ATC are unable to contact you, an uncertainty phase (incerfa) could be declared. This could be enroute, not just for arrival at your destination.