Aeropup and Brs chutes

Brett

Just wondering if there would be some knowledgeable people out there that could tell me if they think a Brs chute would be an easy thing to fit to an aeropup? Have just been tossing the idea around thats all

cheers

Guest Baphomet

The Aeropup has a welded steel fus correct? If that is the case it will make for an easy install. Go to http://www.galaxysky.cz/ the site for Galaxy chutes (I have one on my Bantam) and you should be able to download a .pdf file showing example installations. Personally, if I was in your position I would go for the soft-pack variety, and mount it inside the aircraft.

Brett

I spoke to the BRS people at Oshkosh in 2006 about fitting a chute to my pup. Unfortunately I didn't have any photos or anything with me to show them what the structure looked like but after describing the pup as a 70% scale cub, they described the structure back to me almost perfectly.

The methodology they described was using web straps, with eyes sewn in the ends, with it passed around the spar and back through the eye, one around the mainspar and one around the TE spar carry throughs on each side of the fuselarge.

While they recommended that a check be made that the structure would take the load of the chute opening they obviously considered this to be more a formality than a necessity. Presumably the opening load of the chute must be somewhat less than the normal g loads aircraft are designed for.

My Pup is a Mk 4 so I have the detachable turtle deck to fold the wings, I was considering fitting a soft patch into the turtle deck and firing the chute out through that, this would mean the chute and rocket would be just behind the pilot so consideration would need to be given to the baffling the exhaust gases from the rocket. Also being just under the turtle deck would mean access for maintenance would be simple.

The straps could be (lightly) fixed to the outside of the fibreglass cabin roof so they just pull free when the chute opens and passed through holes in same with some sort of anti-chafing provision. To explain what I mean, a quick and dirty way to do this would be to simply lay the staps on the roof and cover them with spinniker tape

As yet I haven't taken these queries any further, I would be interested to hear, if you follow this up, what you find out.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replies fellas,,, I will look into it further when the time comes a little closer to needing one ,I'm quite keen on the idea however and will try my best to make it possible ,,,at present I'm still waiting patiently for the kit ,,,,but will share the info on how it goes when i get it all sorted ..

cheers