trailering

Guest rocketdriver

Guest rocketdriver

I'm looking at a T500 but before I get too serious, can anyone advise me about trailering plse. I'm thinking that I would remove the wings, roll the spars up in the skins and put them on the roof racks and the fuse could then go on a trailer. Question. 1. will the a/c fit on a 6x8 trailer or similar (tail wheel near the tow ball) or do I need a tandem trailer?

2.what is the distance from outer edge to outer edge of the mains and

3. what is the distance from the tail wheel to the mains please .....

I'm presuming that the empty wt would be about 300Kg (thinking of the legal towing wt limit for my car ....

Hi Rocket Driver.

I'm someone who has built their own trailer.

It tows backwards, the basic frame is like a boat trailer (Mine is registered as a boat trailer, It's 180kg empty) , and the thruster wheels sit on pads behind the mudguards. The wings mount beside the fuselage (with skins still on) they are bolted to the trailer frame using the existing brackets on the wing spars.

You need to take the elevators off, and put them in the vehicle. You should ideally take the propellor off , or a low hanging tree will do the job for you. The only problem with my trailer is the bottom of the fuselage scrapes on a trailer cross member when unloading. The trailer has done several thousand kilometres, the only mishap was a lost mudguard courtesy of a kangaroo.

I've attached a pdf of the original drawings (these are like 15yrs old now!) If that's of some help. The trailer and airplane are currently in the shed if you need some photos.

It takes about two hours to dissassemble/reassemble if you have three skilled people doing it. About half a day if it just yourself and your wife.

Cheers, BobT

thruster trailer.pdf

thruster trailer.pdf

thruster trailer.pdf

Guest rocketdriver

Thanks Bob ...that helps a lot ... but I must say that I had assumed / hoped that the rig / derig time might be more like an hour max ..... clearly I am an optimist!

Regards RD