Navs? Done!

fatmal

Finished my Navs yesterday - finally! After much delay due to the weather in Victoria, including 5 aborted missions over 4 months, I was up to my solo NavEx when I got a job over in Perth and moved West.

I learnt in a Texan at AirSports based at Penfield Vic, and bought an Allegro after getting my ticket. After the move to WA I first had to do a conversion to the SportStar at CloudDancer, based at Jandakot. The SportStar was very similar to the Texan, but with an even milder stall!

After a couple of flights to ensure I was 'safe', and to get used to the radio and procedure overload of controlled airspace, I got sent off on a solo NavEx. Going down the coast from Jandakot to Bunbury is very simple, but heading inland there are not a whole lot of features to measure your track & time against!

Anyhow, I made it back to Jandakot OK, and didn't even annoy ATC too much with my CTAF-centric radio calls! A tip - talk less and simply follow instructions!

Yesterday was a great day for flying, and I was quite relaxed for the NavEx out of Jandakot. The instructor threw in an (simulated) engine failure, which I managed OK, but only on climb out from the selected paddock did I think to myself that I didn't even think about making a radio call! Guess I've still got a bit to learn!

The upshot of all this, is that I am now Nav certified, and as a bonus I also have a controlled airspace endorsement for Jandakot! Pity I can't use it, as I am now about to move back to Victoria as the job hasn't worked out as planned.

Next steps? After the drive back to Vic (4 or 5 days this time, rather than the 3 I did coming over), I'm going to drag the Allegro out of the hangar, charge the battery (it's going to need it!), book an instructor for a safety flight (the Allgro handles a LOT different than the SportStar and Texan!), I'm going to go for a fly somewhere over Xmas. I'll look for a new job next year! Wish me luck!

HUGE thanks to Terry Otway at AirSports Penfield (YPEF) for instilling a safety-first attitude in me, and for teaching me how to deal with the unexpected, and to Adrian Van Schouwen at CloudDancer (YPJT) for smoothing things over with ATC after I busted into Class C airspace! Thanks Guys!

Mal

• Like 2

Hi Malcolm,

Congratulations, mate! Well deserved.

BTW - when back in Vic prepare to wear your wellies when pulling your Allegro out of the hangar - it's been pouring here in Vic and there was a lake in front of our hangar last time I was there. Had to get Vince to help me put the Gazelle back as the wheels got bogged.

He says he will fix it in the near future though.

Sorry to hear about the job - hope you get another one soon.

Cheers

Neil