Differential Hydraulic Brakes

Thruster87

Looking at putting better brakes [ has drum brakes ] on the TST. Considering you only need them for holding the plane from rolling on a windy day on tarmac and a bit of [differential brakes] steering? To keep the weight to a minimum what would be an option? Looked at the new push bike hydraulic disc brakes and also the pocket rocket small motorbike hydraulic disc type which fit the budget.Any ideas out there? Cheers

Guest TOSGcentral

As you say - brakes are not normally needed on a Thruster except for bitumen or holding it for engine run ups and mag drops.

You already have drum brakes and these are probably the Drifter type which work well for this application.. Going to a hydraulic system is added weight and complexity for very little (if any) gain. I also hear that hydraulic braking systen can give problems and can be a bit indifferent!

If you have to have differential brakes then the way to do it is go a full dual system with two motor bike style levers on the front of the stick, each driving the brake on each wheel. They have to be spread far enough apart for independent operation but close enough together for a unilateral grasp for even wheel braking.

But again - if you have a correctly rigged tailwheel geometry you should not be short of adequate steering power so again brakes are something you probably never use unless in unusual circumstances.

Tony

• 1 month later...
Guest jeremy

I have replaced my drum brakes with disc brakes they come in a kit from Aviation Belts I had to get the axle threaded (one left and one right) and make a backing plate, the whole system weighs no more than the original and works extremely well, jeremy

Guest jeremy

sorry i dont own a digital camera but the bloke at aviation belts can email the instructions to you if you contact him his add is in the back of the raAus mag. Hope this helps If not ring me 0880919491/0427803291

I was just interested in your setup as I've just completed putting a differential hydraulic disc brake system on mine [used Hayes HD push bike brakes and made my own rotors etc out of 2mm 4130] the only thing left is for the trials/testing to begin Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

I was wondering how the braking system was holding up?I recently purchased a set of drum brakes but as yet haven't set them up. I am a bit concerned about the extra weight and they require a bit longer axle bolt which I am concerned may stress the whole axle plus I haven't heard many good reports about them. I would be interested to see your set up so if you could post some photos it would be great.Esspecially of how you mounted the caliphers and disc.