First Microlight Flight Today

Guest Glenn

Guest Glenn

Some friends of a friend managed to get me a flight today in a microlight. They come up from Sydney regularly and are based just out of town here on a property. Today they just had one microlight out and were flying about all afternoon.

I loved it, apart from the cool wind. But it was well worth it just for the experience. I even had a short go flying from the back. Sorry no photos. I doubt I could've even seen through the viewfinder with the visor.

Tomorrow they are going to make the short trip to the airport as we are having a nav exercise. May get some photos then.

Guest Darren Masters

Good stuff mate :D I tried them a few years ago down in Wollongong. Did a few lessons. They are great fun. Shame you did not get pics. Like you say, maybe today. Enjoy it!

Guest Darren Masters

Well the world 'microlight' came from countries such as Sth Africa and NZ. Traditionally they are microlights as they are significantly 'lighter' than there ultralight buddies. In the ultralight or recreational class as it is now known you have Jabirus, Gazelles and a/c like that. In saying that you can have a rag and tube machine such as the Bantam and that is also an ultralight not microlight.Have I confused you? Ha ha.

Tomorrow they are going to make the short trip to the airport as we are having a nav exercise. May get some photos then.

Now Glenn you know the penalty for no photos don't you? :twisted:

I don't think I have ever seen a Micro Light.

Guest Glenn

Sorry no photo. But two flew in. We were supposed to have a flying day today but they decided to do have a working bee instead. I got disgusted and went home. Should've stayed in bed.

Chop Chop, just go to google images and type in microlight and you'll find one.

Guest Glenn

Was a trike like the one in the photo below. Pilot up front and passenger sits behind. Not sure if it was 2 or 4 stroke.

Guest Darren Masters

I don't know of any low wing trikes or side by side config trikes or tailwheel?? :?

I don't know of any low wing trikes or side by side config trikes or tailwheel?? :?

Trike wasn't mentioned till my first post, some call a light Aircraft a microlight. My questions were trying to identify what sort of Aircraft it was, as you know they come in all shapes and sizes.

• 2 years later...
Guest chrisssteeven

I hope there's something to be learned when the investigation is complete.I've yet to make the trip over the Channel but I'm hoping to do so for the first time later in the year.There's the argument about whether he should have set off at all,but putting that to one side,he seems to have been confident that even if he couldn't make it to France, he could return safely.