Vietnam Memorial fly-in

Scottw

Hi all

As coordinator of the "Vietnam Memorial Fly-in" incorporating The "Gathering of the Trojans" I am wishing to seek expressions of interest from any folk who wish to join us here in Toowoomba on MAY 3rd 2009.

These events are being run in conjunction with the David Hack Classic Aircraft and vehicle Meet.

For those not familiar with the David hack Meet it is a unique annual meet where we bring together classic vehicles and aircraft together with the Toowoomba airfield as the venue. The fly-in of the event is generally themed with the theme set out as above. However this year with selected vietnam theme I am also inviting operators of the North American T-28 series aircraft to gather under their own Banner.

If any should know of operators of aircraft that are Viet/Vet aircraft or operate the civillian version/variants, I seek a big favour in letting the operator know of the event.

The aircraft of interest are Birddogs(0-1,L19A), Cessna 0-2(337A/B), cessna 180's, Huey/Iroquois UH-1B/H(Bell 207A/B civi version), Kiowa(Jetranger) Cessna 172H models with Military version being the T-41A Mescalero, which are very rare aircraft to Australia with HARS Group being the only owners of a T-41 Mescalero in AUS that I am aware of. If anyone else is aware of operators with a T-41 please let me know.

I have sent invitations out to many operators who own\operate said veteran aircraft, however I have not sent them to all.

If anyone wishes to join us for that weekend I extend the invitation to do so.

Kindest Regards

Scott

G'day All

I wish to let all know that the theme for the fly-in has been modified for this event.

The event is still the David hack Classic Aircraft and Car Meet, however the new theme for the fly-in is as follows-"Wings over South-East Asia Experiance"

All details regarding the event are still current

Thank you for your consideration

Regards

Scott

• 2 months later...

G'day All

in light of a few recent conversations I thought I would post a couple of updates for those who maybe interested.

the organisation of the fly-in is going along well and slowly piecing it all together. Some of the biggest news that I have had the privilege of having been confirmed, that the RAAF are supporting and participating by the having one of the RAAF Museums Winjeels fly up to join us. This could mean we may have 4 Winjeels on the field over the weekend.

At this time 4 Trojans have been confirmed attendees, with other operators having expressed their interest as well.

We will have L-19 & 0-1 Birddogs in attendance, it will all depend on various factors closer to the event as to how many we will have join us and the same goes for 0-2's (Cessna 337's). Have had interest from a number of Cessna 180 owners/operators.

This is pretty much all I can confirm at this point in time, although I have had many phone calls with expressions of interest from operators of aircraft from warbirds to recreational flyers. And can't wait to see what and who arrives over the weekend.

And to add just a little Aviation variety I have had confirmed that we will be having a display of historic flight gear too. A collector of the flight gear will be doing photo shoots wearing genuine flight gear asworn by RAAF pilots of WW11 and the gear that was worn by US Airforce pilots who flew the Trojans during Vietnam. Something Different but interesting none the less.

Regards

Scott

• 3 months later...

G'day All

And here it is only a matter of a few days until the event.

The weather is shaping up to be really nice too.So we are expecting some really nice flying conditions.

To confirm a few aircraft that we expect to see over the weekend, I will start with an exciting development that has come to hand just in the last two days. i am actually keeping the aircraft type a surprise for the event but i am excited to say we have an international visitor attending. i can tell you that it is a classic aircraft and recently restored in NZ. The owner who is from the USA took delivery of the aircraft within the last two weeks and has flown the aircraft across to AUS. The aircraft will be making an appearance at the Fly-in and then will proceed to be flown back to the USA, via Europe I believe, straight after the event. Huge trip for such a classic aircraft.

Gathering of the Trojans - we will have 5 in attendance and the possibility of another, to make 6

We will have a few Vietnam theme related aircraft making it to the event, such as a Birddog, Cessna 180's and the posibiltiy of a Cessna 337, Kiowa and possibly Bell 47 as well

Also we will have Warbird and Vintage/Classic types in attendance

Tiger Moths

Chipmunks

CAC Winjeels

Fiat G-59-4B

T-6

Yak 18Ts

Yak 52s

Boeing Stearmans

Nanchangs

Stinsons

Cessna 195

Cessna 185

Cessan 170

Various Auster Mk's

Classic Piper Cubs, Super Cubs, Colts, Pacers and Tri-Pacers

Also have the Sport/recreational flyers and various GA types. Have had fantastic feedback from flying groups and Aero clubs as well.

So it is shaping up to be a good event.

Regards

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all

Have been contacted by some asking how the weekend went and I thought I would post coments here to let all know.

Well all I can say is it was one fantastic weekend of Aviation experiences and wonderful memories. the weather was great. Could not have ordered better. And had just under 100 aircraft filling the Static parking on the sunday. I have attached a few shots from the Sunday

However, there was a down side, A young lad who I have got to know over a period of time and a valued member of the Aerotec team was fatally injured in a vehicle accident just North of toowoomba on the Saturday night before the fly-in. We recieved the news about 6am on Sunday morning as we were gathering and getting ready for the big day of activities. The day went ahead with no other problems but certainly for those who knew this young likable lad it certainly hung a blanket of sadness upon the day.

Young William spent most of his weekends off-siding Aerotec Adventure flights, preparing aircraft and doing the little jobs, and also on his school holidays, and any other day available, he was there at the Maintenance hanger off-siding Aerotec Cheif Engineer learning and developing his skills in the trade of aviation engineering. He started his flight training and was keenly focused on developing a career in the aviation industry. He will be missed around the hangers

At his funeral he was given a formation flypast with 3 T-28's in a "Missing Man" formation.

Kindest Regards

Scott

1531936595_Picture155.jpg.7f5661e827229845476b549327cb06de.jpg

995943961_Picture207.jpg.b02da293248749610f58e2a0bdfa2532.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the Surprise aircraft that i mentioned in one of my posts that we had the privilege of having attend.

it was a Beech Staggerwing D17S, Rego-NC16S. Lovely bird. The aircraft will be flown back to the US by the owner. Big trip for the old girl.

Regards

Scott

718044575_Picture508.jpg.23b3d9c1564bf24b50601fdcb00017c9.jpg