Hi from Canberra

Guest airsick

Guest airsick

Hey all,

Just thought I would drop a quick message in here to introduce myself.

I hold a PPL and RAA pilot certificate and fly a Virus out of Canberra. Look forward to the new CTA endorsement so more RAA pilots can drop in to say hello around here!

Cheers,

Mick.

Welcome airsick. Hope you don't get airsick 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Had no idea what a virus was until I looked it up. Nice looking aircraft. That's one virus I wouldn't mind catching

Welcome aboard :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest OzChris

Airsick do you own the Virus? Short wing?

The glide ratio is what blows me away!

Whats your thoughts on it?

Any pics?

:]

Guest Darren Masters

I think anything you can have in a 90 degree bank with little power and continues to climb 500'/min is awesome! That was not in the Virus but something similar. I imagine the Virus would have similar performance to the other aircraft.

Guest airsick

Hi all,

Nah it belongs to my brother but he has just had a recent addition to his family so it may as well be mine. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

The things flies great. Cruise at 110 - 120 with 12 - 13 lph and glides quite well in the right hands (I suck at gliding so best ask someone else about this aspect!). I have only one gripe with it - getting to the luggage area. It is located behind the seats which can be a little awkward to get too but I believe this has been rectified in newer models and it sure isn't a show stopper in my books.

Endurance is fantastic too. We worked out once that we could get from Canberra to the Gold Coast and back non-stop if we ate into our reserves (assuming nil wind). It sure out performs the endurance of my bladder so I won't be testing it anytime soon!

So my thoughts are all positive. There might be aircraft that are easier to get into and out of, some faster, and so on but this thing in my view is brilliant. I have flown a few things out there (admittedly only a few RA types) and this thing is better than all of them by a mile in terms of fun, versatility and performance.

I will post some pics later (I have moved and am changing jobs so everything is everywhere at the moment!). In the meantime if any of you are in Canberra I would be more than happy to organise a jolly, neither me or my brother really need an excuse to go flying but it is nice to have one nonetheless. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif Just drop me a line.

Guest OzChris

Thanks airsick - sounds like a great a/c! I would love to have a fly...but since leaving QF I rarely if ever get to Canberra :[

It surprises me with a wingspan of that length and it doesnt have wing struts - must be built strong enough not to need them! No wonder it has such an awesome glide ratio - it is so clean by design!

Are you going to put decals on her?

The white does look striking though!

Guest airsick

Sing out when you're here. I am sure we can get together and organise something neat to spot instead of all these dinky 737's and what not. :biggrin:

Guest Darren Masters
I am sure we can get together and organise something neat to spot instead of all these dinky 737's and what not

Hey! :mad::mad: :biggrin:

Glenn, i presume you've spotted in Canberra before - where abouts?

You can get some good shots behind of 'Brand Depot'. There's a road running parallel with the runway and the only thing in between is the fence. I just need a good camera! :biggrin:

I have only been to Canberra airport once and that was the recent open day.

Looks like we will have to plan a day of spotting. I will advise when I am free and we can arrange a day. I can't see it happening til feb some time

Wonder if they are the same two who were flying in formation at the open day

Can we go to that spot when I can over and get some nice 737's and Dash 8's etc...? :biggrin:

Guest airsick

Quite possible that they did do some formation on the open day. Our club had a stand there on the day (I wasn't there, I went to Nowra that day) so they might have been flying around.

As for getting that spot and seeing some 737's we can try our luck but remember, if anyone asks, you were PIC not me. :rolleyes:

Glenn, i presume you've spotted in Canberra before - where abouts?You can get some good shots behind of 'Brand Depot'. There's a road running parallel with the runway and the only thing in between is the fence. I just need a good camera! :biggrin:

Just watch out with Brand Depot as the security guards there seem to have a problem with spotters spotting from there. Normally a good explination and some plane talk seems to let them know you are gen, if not they can always ask the AFP (Not sure if they ask APS or ACT Policing) who will 99% of the time have no problem with you spotting.

And Glenn, if you do come on down make sure you give your Canberra Moderator a call (And don't get lost!) :P.