Another Canberra based member

Guest Tony Firth

Guest Tony Firth

Greetings fellow aviation enthusiasts. I too call Canberra home. I have been a member of TAA for about 12 months but have not got around to making any posts.

But even worse, I haven’t been flying for 6 months; until today. I am a “mature age student” with the aim of achieving my PPL. With my NY resolution to get back in the air firmly in place I booked a lesson for late this morning. As I had moved from a C150 to a C172 for my last lesson, I decided stick with it.

What a day in Canberra. Winds from 300 degrees gusting 15kts to 25kts. It made for a quick takeoff from 030 and some interesting bumps!! Scattered clouds, but not low enough to worry about. We flew out to the Barton training area between Canberra and Yass and did advanced turns, stalls, glide, PFL; generally getting re-acquainted with the C172.

On return to YSCB, their was a bit of GPT traffic so had to hold over Black Mountain and was then vectored south then east. We were well on base when clearance finally given. And way too high so got to practice a sideslip to loose altitude. I even managed a reasonable landing all things considered.

As we walked back across the apron, I remembered just why I started flying. I’m out again next week.

Guest OzChris

hi Tony - how awesome...that's what its all about, the sheer love of flying it just gets in ya blood and you can never get enough or turn your back on it!

Sounds like the wx was fun - not as fun as in Victoria today, let me tell you! We had wind gusts of over 100klm/h

A really good first post - thanks for sharing!

Guest airsick

Good to see another local in the forums! You should drop over to the aero club and say hello. Once you get your licence we have a 172, a Warrior, Bonanza and a Tobago on the line you can fly. We are trying to ramp up our flying activities this year starting with some twilight flying this coming Wednesday and hopefully a few fly aways throughout the year. And there are a lot of guys standing around telling war stories too. Feel free to come along and introduce yourself. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Cheers,

Mick.