Hi!

Guest simoncook1969

Guest simoncook1969

A short one to introduce myself.

I am very new to flying; I have only had 4 hours so far, but thoroughly enjoying it, in the main.

I can not logically explain why I decided to start flying but, the honest truth is that until recently, I was petrified to get in to an aircraft.

Possibly it was an effort to try and overcome my fears and I guess time will tell if it does! So far, I think I have seen improvement but still remarkably uncomfortable when I hit turbulence (when flying, not so much in a passenger aircraft now). Maybe understanding what is actually happening helps...

I am learning at Bankstown, which is roughly 45 mins - 60 mins away. Not ideal, but the closest there is.

I am learning to fly in a new Cessna 172 SP with glass cockpit.

I hope to become an active part of the community and learn a great deal from the experienced amongst you!

Thanks in advance

Simon

welcome Simon :)

I love turbulence, nothing is more fun than getting "flogged" around in an old bug smasher (Cessna)

Flying through electrical and thunderstorms is much better :)

Great website this, pull up a chair, grab a drink and share your story's oh and check out the photo gallery :)

Guest Darren Masters

G'day Simon and welcome to the forums mate 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif Good to have you here. I am another one of those freaks that loves turbulence. The bumpier the better :biggrin: Again, welcome 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Guest simoncook1969

Thanks all, for a lovely welcome!

It seems like once you become more familiar with flying and more competent, the turbulence adds to the fun! That is a day that I will look forward to...

I have been buying a few of the magazines (and a few from overseas) and it seems like joining an aeroclub can be quite beneficial. I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to point me in the right direction? I live in Wollstonecraft (a stones throw north of the bridge) but fly out of Bankstown.

Is this is something to do *after* I have my PPL, or the sooner the better?

I have also been trying to find a good DVD (or online) resource that can assist/enhance my early studies. Any suggestions at all?

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Simon

Guest simoncook1969
SimonIt would be good to join a club because some clubs offer a discount with the hourly hire rate so could end up saving some $$$$

Take a look at http://www.skysupply.com.au or http://www.skylines.com.au for some good videos :)

Thanks for the website, I found some good stuff on there...unfortuantely, not so much by way of DVD's though. I am currently working through Bob Tait books and while I understand most of it, some of it does get a little complicated for the newbie!

I have searched Amazon, etc, and I am really struggling to find anything. Is there just a gap in the market place or am I being blind. Any titles that any of you are aware of would be great. Also, apologies, I guess I should have done this part in a different section of the forum.