Having Fun in ZK-FEQ

Guest Darren Masters

Guest Darren Masters

Having lots of fun in my microlight. A collage of pics. Thanks to my mate Tim for alot of the lovely ground shots.

[ame]

[/ame]

Guest Darren Masters
Nice clip, Darren. I like the helmet, it looks like an old SPH-4.Cheers,

Willedoo.

Thanks mate. Yes, I am sure that's what it is. Does the job 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, Darren.

The reason I asked about the helmet ID is that I collect military flight gear, helmets & O2 masks in particular. The sph4 sound protection helmet came out, I think around 1970 & underwent a few upgrades due to the problems of helmet retention & impact absorption. They had a couple of liner upgrades, the last of which was 1982 & gave them more than 30% energy absorption over the original model.

It's a bit hard to tell from the video, but if yours is a sph4, it would be post 1980 by the look of the chin strap. Good to see people wear a bit of history on their heads.

Looking forward to seeing more video if you make any.

Cheers,

Willedoo.

• 2 months later...
Thanks mate. Yes, I am sure that's what it is. Does the job 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Darren, I recently added an SPH-4 to my collection, & looking at your video clip, I'd say it's the same variant as the one you wear, going by the chinstrap. From what I can find out, this chinstrap mod was done in1980. The one I've got is a good find as it is brand new, unissued & has sat in the box for 30 years. The date on the speakers is August 1980, but the date on the box is 5/81. It came with a dark & clear visor, earcup spacers & owners manual in the original box as per issue.

The final modification on this model apparently was in 1982 with a lower density/ higher energy absorption liner, so I guess this one misses out on that. Normally, I collect used helmets that have some flight history, but couldn't resist this one. Maybe one day it will fly.

Cheers,

Willedoo.

5.jpg.56a94c9e10d571d4065a2da340e8a584.jpg

Wow mate that is fantastic! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif Don't want to sell do you? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif Then it WILL fly!

Haven't really decided on that, I'll let you know if I do. From a collectors point of view, it's a good mint condition example, & on the other hand it's a shame to see it sit on the shelf. This one is a size regular, fits up to hat size 7&1/4", about 58 in metric.

Cheers,

Willedoo.

Guest Darren Masters
Haven't really decided on that, I'll let you know if I do. From a collectors point of view, it's a good mint condition example, & on the other hand it's a shame to see it sit on the shelf. This one is a size regular, fits up to hat size 7&1/4", about 58 in metric.Cheers,

Willedoo.

Mate, I would be very interested in the helmet. I could send you mine also! Let me know if you change your mind/think about it. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Mate, I would be very interested in the helmet. I could send you mine also! Let me know if you change your mind/think about it. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

No worries, Darren, once I work out which way to go with it, you'll be the first to know. I wouldn't part with it to another collector, only to a good home where it could be used for it's intended purpose. It's probably been trying to break out of that box & fly for the past 30 years. I take a size 57-58 hat size & although it's a bit of a wiggle to get it over the ears, it feels a good fit once it's on, although I haven't adjusted the slings yet & the pad is sitting flat against the liner. I guess a size 59-60+ head size would find it a bit too tight. I suppose they only came in two sizes because of the large amount of adjustment available with the slings. Will keep you updated regarding whether I'll keep it or not.

Regards,

Willie.

Guest Darren Masters
No worries, Darren, once I work out which way to go with it, you'll be the first to know. I wouldn't part with it to another collector, only to a good home where it could be used for it's intended purpose. It's probably been trying to break out of that box & fly for the past 30 years. I take a size 57-58 hat size & although it's a bit of a wiggle to get it over the ears, it feels a good fit once it's on, although I haven't adjusted the slings yet & the pad is sitting flat against the liner. I guess a size 59-60+ head size would find it a bit too tight. I suppose they only came in two sizes because of the large amount of adjustment available with the slings. Will keep you updated regarding whether I'll keep it or not.Regards,

Willie.

Thanks Willie. Keep me posted. Either way is fine. I'm trying to get a new style one also from someone in the military 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif With that said, the look and design in general is not that different. The safety aspect is probably a little better but these helmets certainly put in the hrs. As a matter of interest, I have the nomex flying suit and gloves also. You cannot be 'over the top' with protective gear.

Thanks Willie. Keep me posted. Either way is fine. I'm trying to get a new style one also from someone in the military 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif With that said, the look and design in general is not that different. The safety aspect is probably a little better but these helmets certainly put in the hrs. As a matter of interest, I have the nomex flying suit and gloves also. You cannot be 'over the top' with protective gear.

Yes Darren, I'm not too familiar with the new ones. I think it was the HGU-56/P that replaced the old SPH-4's. I think it's kevlar, I know they have a custom fit thermoplastic liner instead of the old sling harness & a lot better side protection than the old ones. Hopefuly you might be able to post up a photo if you get one one day. Cheers, Willie.