Recent Arrival

Old Koreelah

Taking my cue from Ozzie, I guess I'd better do the intro thing as well. I was recently told of this site so here I am.

Like many, I never thought I could afford to fly and indulged in motorcycling. Though I still ride a fair bit, a recent return to road racing after a 34-year rest scared the pants off me. Those young blokes go so fast! I can stay with them through the corners but the prospect of getting getting high-sided and spat off has dampened my enthusiasm. I can still remember most of my crashes and it hurts, so I'd better protect my ancient bones.

In the late 1970's, between practice sessions at Oran Park near Luddenham, my mate Steve and I watched these two bloody idiots under flimsy fabric wings buzzing along powered by chainsaw engines. Years later I got to know Steve Cohen, one of those blokes! Thanks to the efforts of pioneers like these most of us can now afford to go flying.

After forays into gliding and building a large diesel homebuilt, I ended up buying a Jodel D9. I have spent far more time redesigning it than flying it. As we all know, getting your pilot ticket is just the start of the learning process, and forums like Ian's and this one are a vital way for flyers to share our experiences. Each bit of advice has the potential to improve someone's design or flying; it may even save a life.

Looking forward to being part of this aviation community.

Lyle Passfield

• Like 1

Guest David C

Welcome Lyle . Good to have you onboard , and especially someone of my vintage too ! . I haven't seen or heard of Steve Cohen for a few years and wonder if he is still doing projects at Wedderburn . Are you in the Sydney area ? , and if so , do you ever venture over to The Oaks ? .. Once again , a big welcome .

Dave C

Welcome Lyle . Good to have you onboard , and especially someone of my vintage too ! . I haven't seen or heard of Steve Cohen for a few years and wonder if he is still doing projects at Wedderburn . Are you in the Sydney area ? , and if so , do you ever venture over to The Oaks ? .. Once again , a big welcome .Dave C

Thanks, David. Steve is still at Wedderburn and still active; he has given me valued design advice. I am at YQDI, where I usually have the airport to myself at weekends, plus perfect weather. Tyrrany of distance; we have so much the lends itself to a Skypark, but we're just a little too far from larger urban centres.

I suppose I should say welcome Lyle even if we do stay in touch off & on. Gee I've known you now for must be at least 25 years.

Thanks Dex! Seems like a small world, we bump into each other every few decades! Similar interests I guess.

Guest Darren Masters

G'day Lyle and welcome to TAA :) Ah, motorbikes. Gave them up years ago after too many accidents. I'm now one of those idiots flying the fabric with chainsaw engine machines ;) Good to have you here.