Dc-6 Dirt Landing

willedoo

Nice clip, Geoff, & beautiful sound. If there's anything better than the sound of a Twin Wasp, it's four Twin Wasps.

It would be nice to go to Alaska one day & see Evert's fleet before they disappear. As far as I know , they still operate a couple of Curtiss Commandos & something like eight DC-6's.

Cheers, Willie.

Now we've established we all like a dirty video :rolleyes:... check this one out

Looks like an old clip, Dave, & quite a bounce there toward the end. I didn't know they flew planes into the Monino Air Museum like that, just assumed they were all transported there by road (apart from the helicopters).

Here's a C17 landing in Afghanistan, lots of dust again.

Cheers, Willie.

Guest Chris Spencer-Scarr

The story behind the DC-6 was interseting.

2 collectors bought the aircraft for their static collection on a farm. It had not flown for more than 20 years and had been stripped and left in the sun and rain for the entire time.

They considered removing the wings and taking it 50km by road, but that proved to be nigh impossible.

They got 2 mechanics who worked on her full time for more than a year to get her airworthy enough for one single 20NM flight. She has now retired.

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41521&hilit=Dc6#p499448

Thanks Chris, appreciate the info. I was curious about the background behind the flight & didnt know anything about it's origins.

Cheers, Willie.

Thanks Chris, appreciate the info. I was curious about the background behind the flight & didnt know anything about it's origins.Cheers, Willie.

Same goes for me too - thanks for wising us up!

Here are a couple of shots of a Jumbo which was flown into a somewhat j..u..s..t wide enough strip; I think it was possibly for museum display - someone else might know for sure the full story. I can understand the pilots looking so pleased with their effort!

Jumbo3.jpg.3e14eedf65527e0ba31e7024d30f26e3.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a coule of shots of a Jumbo which was flown into a somewhat j..u..s..t wide enough strip;

Amazing shots, you wouldn't want too much cross-wind there; the second photo is a bit scary, it just fits.

Cheers, Willie.

Guest David C

That is ex SAA B747SP landing at Rand Airport in South Africa for museum display . This aircraft is ZS-SPA and was named "Maluti" by the airline . It held the distinction of the record of the longest distance flown by a commercial airliner . On landing it joined another ex SAA B747-200 at the airfield . Rand Airport has 1700M long runway , which is very adequate in length for a 747 , but very marginal in width as can be seen in the photos ..

Dave C

That is ex SAA B747SP landing at Rand Airport in South Africa for museum display . This aircraft is ZS-SPA and was named "Maluti" by the airline . It held the distinction of the record of the longest distance flown by a commercial airliner . On landing it joined another ex SAA B747-200 at the airfield . Rand Airport has 1700M long runway , which is very adequate in length for a 747 , but very marginal in width as can be seen in the photos ..Dave C

Thanks Dave - much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent 3 years on Nauru (no, not as illegal immigrants!) and during that time Air Nauru operated a 737 equipped as is this one here, for non-sealed strips.

Protruding forward of the engine intakes is bleed air to prevent stone ingestion, and fitted to the nose wheel a shield to prevent stones being thrown up.

It's a long time ago, but I think the only unsealed strip they used was Bonriki (Tarawa, ...TRW), in what was then called the Gilbert Islands & now Kiribati (pronounced "Kiribuss", the "-it" being sibillant).

[ATTACH=full]1249[/ATTACH]

737RoughFieldKit.thumb.jpg.07b259928308b732d0300414a633b153.jpg

• Like 1