Groundloops And Taildraggers

red750

Interesting to see the guys who don't have the stick back once the tail wheel is down, the guy I did my endorsement with would be constantly asking me why the f**king stick wasn't pinned to my gut, he was a sh*t of a man but I have never forgotten to have that damn stick back since!

• Like 1

Interesting to see the guys who don't have the stick back once the tail wheel is down, the guy I did my endorsement with would be constantly asking me why the f**king stick wasn't pinned to my gut, he was a sh*t of a man but I have never forgotten to have that damn stick back since!

Depends on the aircraft and how your landing it as to the stick being right back or not. I'll agree "Usually" you have the stick back.

Depends on the aircraft and how your landing it as to the stick being right back or not. I'll agree "Usually" you have the stick back.

There is times when stick back is not correct, a tailwind as you pull the throttle while taxiing needs the elevator positioned so as to keep the weight on the tail ,and for a wheeler landing but even then once the tails down you still have stick back .but for the newby training I think getting the mind set that EVERTHING you do in a taildragger while your sitting in it is important and theyre fairly unforgiving .I noticed the Dh82 has to have full back trim and up elevator to taxi.

What other situation or aircraft wouldn't adopt that method ?

Met

Bigger,,,,,like DC3 bigger?

Like most AG machinery. A Beaver for instance after landing on most AG strips if you hold the yoke full back you will get damagae to the mass/aerodynamic balancers on the end of the elevators from rocks. Likes of Thrush are weighted so the stick goes forward, gets very heavy if you hold the stick back all the time, heavy braking being an exception. Using reverse is another, unless the tails planted firmly reverse will exacerbate any movement. Usually you land in right spot so you don't have to brake heavily. Even empty an 802 goes over 3 ton, with an 8 usually once the tailwheels settled there's just no need to hold full back.

As I said before, yes "Usually" stick back in most aircraft.

• Like 1