Lancaster Bomber Video

TAA donaldson1

Don't you just love the way digital cameras give that "feathered/barely rotating" look to props?Maybe some digi-guru out there knows how to eliminate it - and no, I'm not suggesting the Merlins be replaced by jets...

Two and half hours I waited in a field to film that and all you get is bloomin' complaints!

Not a complaint, mate ... just a recollection of an old fart of "the good old days" of film technology. There are a lot of pluses - a lot - which come from digital photography, but the strobe effect evident here is not, to my mind one of them, and that is definitely not your fault.

As an aside, it seems to me as well, that digital cameras are less able to cope with high-contrast conditions; I think the technical term used is "latitude", or lack of it.[ATTACH=full]1900[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1899[/ATTACH]

up.gif.fee00f171a1c388134780a3729c5327f.gif

Not a complaint, mate ... just a recollection of an old fart of "the good old days" of film technology. There are a lot of pluses - a lot - which come from digital photography, but the strobe effect evident here is not, to my mind one of them, and that is definitely not your fault.As an aside, it seems to me as well, that digital cameras are less able to cope with high-contrast conditions; I think the technical term used is "latitude", or lack of it.[ATTACH=full]1900[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1899[/ATTACH]

I was only yanking your chain mate!, I think it all depends on the rpm's of the prop, the fps rate of the camera and the quality of the light. Check out these vids filmed in much better light conditionshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCxpl3jhc0Mhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu5wCsrzzts

Thanks for that .. chain well & truly pulled - but in a still digital image is it possible to produce a blurred prop? I've never been able to get one.

Maybe have to use a really slow "film" speed &/or a neutral filter ...? Appreciate further comments on this topic.

Copied from another aviation site:

Set your speed at 250 and you will get prop blur, not full circle but 3-4 blades blurring nicely. Used this technique when shooting warbirds air to air and found it acceptable.

and

It is quite simple. (Number of Blades) * (Prop RPM / 60) will give you the denominator of the shutter speed.

For example, 2 blades, 2500RPM - The above equation gives 2 * (2500/60) = 83.33. This means that your shutter speed would have to be 1/83.33 sec or slower to get a full circle.

Another example, 3 blades, 2500RPM, requires 1/125th sec.

• Like 1

Excellent mathematics - thanks Peter.

And for movies? I seem to recall that 16mm stuff was shot at 24 frames/second, so some of the Vietnam chopper filming still shows some strobe effect?

Maybe we can apply the above mathematics to a 2-blade or 3-blade chopper..? It makes my head tired thinking about it:confused: