Quicksilver MX thoughts

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Hello all, I have been looking at a Quicksilver MX down in VIC for the last few weeks and am thinking of bringing it home (after I have had a good look and with a trailer) over the next month or so. Now, what I was after was thoughts of folks on here who have flown the MX. It is only the single seat MX. To start, the ailerons, are they full span? Is this a/c a single-surface wing? The guy is saying it's a 65hrs 503 (same as I had in my Thruster). I don't think he is referring to 65hrs from new. Probably from top-end? I don't know as I have not spoken to him yet. Just after some ideas first. Has anyone flown them before? If so, am I going to have much trouble with it after say flying the Bantam? Are the flight characteristics similar? As it is a single seat I want to make sure before I take off and find out the hard way. Probably should go do some hrs in a dual MX but I don't know of any around here and they are going to be different again due weight, c of g etc. What do you all think? Personally, I don't think I would have too much of a problem. Have spoken to a few people that say they are a joy to fly and not too difficult. Below is a pic of the actual machine:

Would be interested in hearing others thoughts/comments.

Guest Fred Bear

Further, would anybody know where you can have a pod put on as in the pic below? Who does them and how much would it be...roughly? I think it would be a good addition and would add to some protection from fences etc if need be.

Hi Disperse,

Yea mate, they're about my sort of price too.

Tell you what, if you like to pay my medical bills, i'll buy one and we can share it.

They'd have to find room to squeeze one in at The Oaks

I'd prefer the Terrier on page 62, that looks a good buy, and i've always had a soft spot for one since I saw one at Bankstown and kept going back for another look.It's probably about what i've got to pay out in medical bills in the next 12mths. What a bummer, but hopefully i'll still be around after to see other enjoy theirs.

Alan

Guest Fred Bear

Greg, thanks for the comments mate. Interesting flight principle that I can't wait to try out. I wonder where there is a two seater that I can do some circuits in? Someone on these forums must know...

Hey Darren,If you buy that MX you would'nt need to buy a Traveljohn as discussed on another thread, or even a (large??? woolwash) just wear a pair of shorts.

Alan

Ha ha 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Too right but being a pusher, definitely number 1's only 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

hey have you seen the two tyros in this months mag......?

Yes I have mate and grunt grunt 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif tail draggers...088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

Guest Graham Lea

If you are going to fly it in the Sydney basin - especially out of The Oaks to the south or east, - and an ex-instructor says: "Best flown in 10 knots of wind or less." then I wouldn't even think about it. John's Bantam or similar could be a better deal... Lets face it, you are probably not going to get out of the Sydney Basin in it due to speed and turb restrictions. And no pax either :-( Save more $$$$.... Way out West there are similar aircraft which late in the day or early morning are lots of fun due to the still conditions... but still no pax, wives or kids..

Guest Fred Bear
If you are going to fly it in the Sydney basin - especially out of The Oaks to the south or east, - and an ex-instructor says: "Best flown in 10 knots of wind or less." then I wouldn't even think about it. John's Bantam or similar could be a better deal... Lets face it, you are probably not going to get out of the Sydney Basin in it due to speed and turb restrictions. And no pax either :-( Save more $$$$.... Way out West there are similar aircraft which late in the day or early morning are lots of fun due to the still conditions... but still no pax, wives or kids..

Graham, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Bantam is broken and John may not fix. May end up selling it 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Also, unfortunately a machine in this price range is out of my reach. I never used to like to fly the Bantam in any more than 5-10kt either. What can you say? You have good days, you have bad days. I would not be keen on going South, ie the coast with the Quicksilver anyway. More just The Oaks local, Picton, Bringelly area etc etc. With any rag and tube it pays to really study ARFOR's before you even think of leaving the ground. We have another Quicksilver that flies often at The Oaks (when the conditions are right) though it is admittedly a GT500. The no pax does not phase me. Emma (wife) will certainly not get in anything rag and tube (I have enough trouble getting her in the Jab) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif If wanting to take the kids I would much rather take them in a club Jab anyway when that time comes. It's simply a machine I want for putting around the local area in...solo :)

Guest Fred Bear

Now does anybody know of where I can find an MX2 to do a little bit of dual in between Sydney and Bairnsdale VIC before I think of jumping in one and taking off on my own?

Guest Fred Bear

Thanks Ozzie. Think I might scrap this MX. Spoke to the bloke today and he has gone from 4,500 to 5,000 all of a sudden and tells me the skins are 'so so'. I don't like the sound of that and think it's a waste of time driving down to find out the hard way. If anyone sees anything similar that is not a tail dragger, something rag and tube in the 4,000-5,000 range (or less) please let me know. Will keep an eye out in the magazine too.

Darren, shame he put the price up. i recommend a burst test on any ragwing you plan to buy. even if you bought this did all your intial flying on it and then bought a new set of skins ex factory when you had a bit of time on it you would still have a good value toy. next question is how is the engine?

ozzie

Guest Fred Bear

65 from brand new he told me Ozzie. Sometimes that can be worse though than one that has been run most of the time. It may have been sitting there doing nothing for long periods of time.

Guest Graham Lea

When I was learning to fly, I designed a thing as to whether to fly or not.

It was; If I ask the question, it means I don't know if I can do it. Ie: Is the cross wind really too much for me?? If I asked the question, don't do it.

The simple answer to your problem is answered: Don't do it! The wife and kids will hate you forever if you kill yourself because of the rotten skins or whatever...

Fly Safe! Dough is NOT the issue, SAFETY is.

Graham

There is never any garrantee that any engine won't pop it's cork at the drop of a hat, no matter what it's life or sevice history is. And that will be the same on any low priced machine that has been around for a while. Still cheap flying. My friend Arthur must hold the record for getting into the air for under $1000. bought pranged mk3 scout with pod for $200. spent 300 on good set of s/h skins and parts to replace the bent bits and found a set of usable floats along the way $25. cleaned it all up put it together and he and his son have just about worn it out since. the 250 robyn has never missed a beat. The reason the whole lot was in reasonable condition was it was found in a dry inland area.

ozzie