Steering sticks for Aerochute

Ive been watching a lot of videos on Aerochutes, and have noticed no one ever seems to fly with them.I have

been wanting to get a set,but am sitting on the fence a little about them.I know Aerochute makes them,but

there are no photos or prices on them.Are they worth getting?would appreciate any comments from people

that have them or had them,like them dont like them etc.

I have seen 2 sets fitted. neither of them worked very well as the sticks did not have enough travel to get full flare. It was OK flying solo where full flare may not be needed but almost useless dual. One set, the owner tried for ages to modify them to make them better but failed and removed them. Money wasted. One of our group was ready to give up flying due to shoulder problems after fitting sticks that didn't work, but we designed a simple mod that ran a second set of steering lines behind and under the seat to the front and through pulleys attached to the front footrest. He then would use the overheads for take off as it allows better vision of the chute than leaning forward, but after takeoff just uses the front toggles which operated by pulling towards him which was easier than trying to keep his arms up all the time and not having the strength to pull them downwards to flare anymore. He is still flying 5 years later.

There is a good reason you don't see anyone using them. Hope that helps your decision.

Kev

• Informative 1

Thanks for that info Kev.I purchased a newer superceded design from the the Contes as they do not make those pulley ones you mentioned anymore.These ones are electronically operated from a servo unit that is operated from a 12v battery that runs to your regulator/rectifier.The sticks are only 3 inches long and you can operate them

with only 2 fingers right in front of you.You take off in a normal fashion with your hand toggles,then when your 100ft you flick a switch and go electronic mode,then prior to landing you switch back to manual mode.Steve is sending them out to me soon and I will let you know how it all goes cant wait.

I Know the ones you mean, i have seen them too. They do work. They are designed to be used in the cruise only and not for take off and landing. Make sure you put velcro around your steering line handles and to the headplate to stick them there when not in use. If you don't, when using the electric sticks on full flare for a tight turn the overhead toggles will float back into the prop.

Edit. From memory I don't think they did a full flare either. only 15-18 inches or so.

• Helpful 1

I Know the ones you mean, i have seen them too. They do work. They are designed to be used in the cruise only and not for take off and landing. Make sure you put velcro around your steering line handles and to the headplate to stick them there when not in use. If you don't, when using the electric sticks on full flare for a tight turn the overhead toggles will float back into the prop.Edit. From memory I don't think they did a full flare either. only 15-18 inches or so.

But you would not be using electric mode for full flare on landing anyway ,you use the toggles in manual normal landing to get the full flare anyway or does the set up restrict the full flare in manual mode too?Thanks for handy info

on the velcro handles

If you want to do tight turns when say mustering etc and using full flare.then you just switch to manual to get the full flare. I would imagine.

Fred, I would much rather see them design a system that CAN be used for most facets of flight. Take off will probably always be done with the overheads as you really need to be able to feel the chute and make subtle changes. This is really because the chute is still manufactured without mylar leading edges that would make the chute come up cleaner. (Was going to be an optional extra at one stage but never heard of it again) Most other chutes are made with mylar and they come up clean just about every time. There is no real reason why the landing couldnt be done with the electrics IF they designed a system that will allow a full flare.

The lines going to the electrics are attached at the ring stop on the steering lines so do not interfere with their use at all.

Whilst i do like the idea of the electrics i would like to see something a bit better designed before i mortgaged the kids to buy a set.

Understand what you mean.I got the idea of using sticks 3 weeks ago when flying for nearly 2 hrs in a straight line up and back and having to contend with a slight crosswind

all the way.For the time being these sticks will do me till she dies,and steelbreze comes along,hopefully by then RAA would have sorted out this mess with the CFIs.

I'm sure with a bit of thought you could come up with a better system yourself. A simple marine cam lock cleat to put your steering line in will solve the problem of being able to fly in a x-wind without having to hang onto a handle, and only cost about $20. Small adjustments can then be made by shifting in the seat or moving your feet to a different position.

I think we may be thinking of different things. The one I mean is two cams with sort of teeth on them. the rope runs through them and you can pull it to the place you want and it will not slip back through. To release just put tension back on the line and as you pull it up, just lift out and it will come free. No knot tying. Used on boats to run lines through to adjust sails.