RAAF Phantoms

I haven't been to Amberley for more than three years, but on that last visit there was some talk of a wish list to try and get one of our old Phantoms returned to Amberley.

Jut wondering if anyone has heard any more on the subject. I haven't checked in a long time, but in 2012 there were still two left, both in the Arizona Bone Yard. I can't remember if they were still in original F-4E configuration, or converted to F-4G's.

It's sad that these things don't happen for lack of funds. If all the politicians were to donate one month's travel entitlements, we could have an original RAAF Phantom and plenty of spare change left over.

Cheers, Willie.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yes, the one at Point Cook is not an ex RAAF Phantom, it's a U.S. F-4 painted to represent one of ours.Here's a brief history of the Point Cook Phantom: http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseum/exhibitions/tech_hang/phantom.htm

It would be nice to have one of our originals, though. Hopefully the two survivors are still there in Arizona. They should be I guess, as it's doubtful they would have been converted to target drones as they've been phasing in the older F-16's for that role.

One of them was offered to a museum in Idaho a few years ago as an F-4G, but they already had one, so it stayed at the boneyard.

I think out of the original 24, one was lost here, and of the other 23, very few remained as F-4E's after returning to the States. A lot were converted to F-4G's and then target drones.

Cheers, Willie.