Transponders and PLBs

Guest zach1976

Guest zach1976

Hi guys and girls,

I'm not sure if I'm posting thsi in the right area but I'm looking for advice on transponders and PLBs

Does either the Garmin GTX320A or the Microair T2000 stand out as a superior unit? We just need something basic.

Also, does anyone know what the ACR Aquafix with GPS PLB is like? Is this a good unit?

Thanks in advance, apologies if this is in the wrong area or if it has been discussed before.

Guest pelorus32

Have a look at the Garmin GTX327A it's the unit that lots of people are fitting, it's reliable and easy to use.

Regards

Mike

Guest zach1976

Thanks very much for your quick response. The 327 is about $800 more expensive I think and is hard to justify. Does it do anything different to the 320?

Guest pelorus32
Thanks very much for your quick response. The 327 is about $800 more expensive I think and is hard to justify. Does it do anything different to the 320?

Hi Zach,

It does do a few more things. Go here and use the links on the RHS to navigate between the two:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=198&pID=124

The other thing for me is that the user interface is better - the setting system is more to my liking and the LED screen I like better.

Will it change your world? Nah...a xpndr is a xpndr 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Regards

Mike

Lots of used transponders on eBay at the moment, the USA is currently upgrading to mode 'S' en mass it seems, and lots of mode 'C' transponders are coming out and being sold second hand, some with tray and encoder.

Only benefit I can think of for the Microair is that it's small, thus easy to mount and matches the look of the Microair radio. I haven't heard of many failures in Microair's lately. I think 1 at TDN is dodgey at the moment and that's 1 out of 6 so no real stats there to go by. On the other hand every radio has been replaced atleast once!

Garmin's GTX327 transponder is TSOd, but I am not sure their 320 is. If you have a certificated aircraft that may be important. Your encoder should also be TSOd for a certificated aircraft, or else at the biennial encoder/transponder test the service organisation may write your aircraft up as "not complying".