Whale watching on the way to Merimbula

Kaz

Woke up this morning to a beautiful flying day in Canberra and decided I wanted to go whale watching on the coast, then have my favorite flying lunch in Merimbula. Matt, of course, was devastated to have to take me flying instead of doing housework so off we went! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Up to 7500 over the hills to Moruya as it was a bit windy, then down to 1500 on the coast. Go almost to Merimbula without a sighting when Matt finally spotted one laying on her back clapping her fins at us (waving I reckon;)). Did a few orbits watching her jump around having a great time then we kept going on and about 3 minutes later saw a pod of three also jumping around.

We passed Merimbula and went down to Green Cape Lighthouse (south of Eden) then back to Merimbula (I was getting pretty hungry by then!) and on approach noticed another whale, this one unfortunately was dead and washed up on the rocks... very sad :;)4:

It was a bit windy and a bumpy approach but Matt managed a screamer of a landing! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Walked the few km into town to The Waterfront Cafe and had a wonderful lunch, as always... a big "shout out" for the people at Waterfront Cafe in Merimbula.

Walked back to the airport to depart for the return trip to Canberra, climbed up to 8500 to get out of the bumps and had a smooth trip home.

I would like to say I took lots of great photos of the whales, unfortunately with the bumps, sun glare and my head not liking orbits the photos are blurry and not so good, so I wont share! Attached is a google earth of our whale watching track though. You can see by the orbits why I got sick!!

Have also attached the KML file that you can save and then open in Google Earth on your computer to see the whole track - it's zipped coz the forum won't allow you to attach a *.KML file.

Cheers,

Kaz

1129809525_13OCT07MerimbulaandWhaleTracks.thumb.jpg.6845660b54d51c522fe870f38d555fa0.jpg

13OCT07 YSCB-YMER-YSCB.zip

Sounds like an excellent day Kaz. Don't know what I'm doing wrong though...I've spent many a weekend around Moruya - Narooma and I haven't managed to catch a glimpse of any whales yet.

Perhaps on a not-so-bumpy day we can look forward to some good whale photos.

Bob

Guest Baphomet

Lazy Sunday around SE Qld

Took the Bantam on a sight seeing trip today, Gatton - Kilcoy - Caloundra - Bribie -Back home (Lockyer Valley) 3.5hrs for the round trip. Beautiful conditions, wonder what the non-aviators were doing? The only problem was the GPS pooped itself on the Bribie - Lockyer leg, oh well get the map out and fly the heading.

Guest Fred Bear

Yeah right Kaz. No pics? You were probably at home doing housework and not flying! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Seriously though, sounds like you had an awesome day and enjoyed your expensive (after the flying) burgers or whatever it is you guys ate so that's the main thing right? I did my little fly today. Had to wait hrs to get up there but worth it in the end. Took a young lad that had never been flying before. I too, have no pics 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Hope to catch you two soon. Maybe next weekends fly-in in Cowra?

Took the Bantam on a sight seeing trip today, Gatton - Kilcoy - Caloundra - Bribie -Back home (Lockyer Valley) 3.5hrs for the round trip. Beautiful conditions, wonder what the non-aviators were doing? The only problem was the GPS pooped itself on the Bribie - Lockyer leg, oh well get the map out and fly the heading.

Ahh, now that would have been awesome! Real flying my friend. The Bantam I used to fly is broked and I do miss it very much 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif