Extended baggage compartment tube

mcrowley

Has anyone tried extending the extended baggage compartment on their Savannah? I'm building the Savannah S model with the extended baggage option. I realize that putting additional weight in the tail is limited and the CG has to be closely monitored. What I'm thinking off is a very lightweight aluminum tube to extend back a couple more frames to allow small, light, long pieces to be carried. As I'm not much of a golfer I'm primarily thinking of ways to transport a rifle or shotgun... We Texans have a wild hog problem and I'm looking forward to doing what I can to help 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried extending the extended baggage compartment on their Savannah? I'm building the Savannah S model with the extended baggage option. I realize that putting additional weight in the tail is limited and the CG has to be closely monitored. What I'm thinking off is a very lightweight aluminum tube to extend back a couple more frames to allow small, light, long pieces to be carried. As I'm not much of a golfer I'm primarily thinking of ways to transport a rifle or shotgun... We Texans have a wild hog problem and I'm looking forward to doing what I can to help 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

I know a river-shingle-bed-lander who reckons I should be putting a tube in my build for a fishing rod.

It would be good if someone knowledgeable could comment on this.

My thought, and it is only an uneducated guess, is that i'd look at that if I could design it in such a way that it could never be overloaded?

Well... So far I'm pretty happy with my baggage tube extension. This tube is not intended for any real weight, only the barrel of a rifle, a fishing pole, or something that is too long to fit in the baggage compartment. I've only added less than 1/4 pound of weight and seemed to have increased the strength of the fuselage. I'm quite happy with the rigidity and strength of the installation.[GALLERY=media, 3733]Cutting a 4" hole by mcrowley posted May 23, 2016 at 10:59 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3734]4" hole for extension tube by mcrowley posted May 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3736]Support bracket by mcrowley posted May 23, 2016 at 11:04 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3735]bulkhead supports by mcrowley posted May 23, 2016 at 11:02 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3737]Extension tube endcap by mcrowley posted May 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3738]Aft view by mcrowley posted May 23, 2016 at 11:07 AM[/GALLERY]

• Like 1
  • Caution 1