Where would you land?

All this talk of landing in a paddock with fences at either end got me to thinkin..I often fly from camden to maitland and use the light aircraft route to bypass the richmond control zone..This route after turning north over the brooklun bridge keeps u nicely within gliding distance of the f3 frreway for most of the trip which is basically over a fair bit of tiger country..I often look down at the freeway and think..thats where im going if the engine stops soon..The f3 is a dual carriage way and the north and south directions are seperated...its a nice big wide road basically...But, my question is this...would you opt to land towards the coming traffic, thereby giving the drivers in the cars time to see you and stop, or would you land with the traffic, potentially landing on the roof of a car that never saw you...so basically the oncoming traffic has more of a chance of seeing you but there closiong speed would be much greater..but landing with the traffic basically nuetrilises the closeing speed thing because the Jab touches down at around 50-60 knotts which is about how fast the traffic would be going....

yep..thats what i thought too...but, what about them being able to see you first and stop?? but i spose, some of the drivers ive seen on that road, probably wouldnt stop in a real hurry..hehe

Just thinking about where I look when driving, I'm not sure I would be looking at the sky much anyway, my attention would mainly be on the road and the traffic in front. I therefore suspect that you would have to be pretty low to be noticed anyway, probably too late for the driver to do much at 100kph?

but what about when the freeway is busy?

There are a few padocks along the lane around when you cross the freeway and then you end up in the valleys around cottage point etc, so it would be only breifly, i would have thought, that you would be able to reach the freeway.

But back to a busy freeway, do you risk the lives of many others to save your own?

When flying the lane, do you carry lifejackets?

Kyle

chances are that the left lane will be empty cause most of the peckerheads using the F3 don't understand what 'keep left unless overtaking 'means.

Guest disperse

As a professional driver for some 14 yrs now. And also the victim of the abbility for people to drive straight into something without stopping.....

WITHOUT A DOUBT DO NOT LAND TOWARDS TRAFFIC ..... CARNAGE WILL FOLLOW.

For the traffic to stop you would not only need one driver to realize that there is something on the road in front of them, you need them to have the brains to stop .....and not at the last minute. Then if this person stops .... guaranteed the clowns behind will use it as a overtaking opportunity .......

AS OTHERS HAVE SAID ......MERGE. If possible over fly the cars you intend to land in front of as this will give you the best chance of gaining there attention. And the cars behind are probably already be braking.

Me personally if I had the speed and opportunity I would over fly a truck and land in front of it before I landed in front of a car.... Why ? you have a 90% chance the truck driver will start braking the moment they see you and only a 70% chance a car driver would. Secondly a lot of truck drivers including myself use their truck as a barrier of protection when they realize there is a potentially dangerous situation ahead. ie: if I see a car sitting in a dangerous position, I would normally pull in behind it and stop, rather then just going around and leaving you at the mercy of the traffic to come.

• 1 month later...
Guest Graham Lea

But don't forget the case of the guy who landed with the traffic and was going great guns until the person in the car in front saw him behind in the rear vision and hit the hooks heavily!!

Oh well, if it is a plastic aircraft, just take the broken bits to the local surfboard shop :-)

Graham Lea