Savannah owners

Guest Redair

Guest Jim Benn

Sorry guys, didn't make that clear. Trip to and from KI happened last Christmas. Will be doing same again tho as soon as we sell our house here, Should be ~late April. Will then be located on KI with a strip and B & B for all you intrepid flyers!! Bit of a sphincter (sp?) clencher crossing over from Appolo Bay tho!!Jim

Guest Jim Benn

Hey Martin, (landmann) do you really have an ADV???? Would love to talk maintenance with you if you have.Jim

Guest landmann

Aloha,

I keep my ADV..yup yup ADV... at the Hilo international airport. My API (airframe, powerplant and inspector) mechanic did my last inspection mid Feb. I was having a bit of trouble with my radio. No big deal. Just speak into the mike he said. He said it was a small job and he would tack it on to the next oilchange bill (equals his monthy rent for hooker in luxury high rise) Next day he dropped dead...never even asked me if he could!! He had an apprentice he was training. The apprectice has his powerplant but still needs to take the airframe test. Oohh bothers.

I have 320 hours and so far have been blessed with:

Cracked muffler. Replaced on warrantry

Exhaust pipes came loose

Oil cooler came loose

Coolant leaking from top hose

changed crappy factory equiped brakes and wheels for dual caliper

Matco (good stuff

toggle switch fell off gps (fixed on warrantry)

lost my key and had to install a complete new switch

short in radio ptt. Never found it till I replaced the whole damn radio and intercom. Now I got a spare radio.

Just small stuff. I had the oil changed every 25 hrs and figure it cost me about as much for maintenance as for fuel. Not a topic I would bring up with my wife at the breakfast table though. She refers to my Savannah as "the other woman" as it is.

Guest Jim Benn

Hi Martin,yes, we all have the fun things like leaks, brakes and radio's on the blink! I too have 318 hrs up on my plane but my problem is the maintenance of the ADV wing. I have lubed everything I can get at but will now pull the end off the root of the wing where the little electric motor is and have a look behind there. When I put out 40* of flaps Rarely needed but fun to play helicopter occasionally), the circuit breaker pops out before the tired little motor can finish the job. Must be a bit of a bind somewhere, but I can't find it. How do those performance figures match with yours? Where is HILO?

Guest Jim Benn

Yes, you could be right Ozzie, I havn't checked on the ground but it is certainly difficult to retract when still in climb. I normally retract from ~12* to about 5* soon after rotation and give it a break and retract the remaining 5* at ~1000'. If I were to try to retract fully on climb the cb would trip.Jim

Guest ozzie

Hmm coming up should have less load than when extending them. they should tend to 'blow up' on retraction. If mechanical problems can be ruled out i'd start looking at the cables, connections and relays feel how hot they are getting and check the draw with a amp meter. an electrical problem like this can drive you nuts if it isn't up front and obvious.

Guest landmann

NO problem with my flap motor. It was a bit noisy so I gave it a shot of ACF50. Never heard from it since. I fly around a bit with full 40 degree flap. I am amazed how it stays up in a tight 360. I can stay up at 4200 rpm and cruise at 5000rpm. I average 95 mph at 5.2 gal per hr. with a 3 blade fixed kieve prop. I can not glide like a brick. Think anvil.

I have been landing on my private field here for over a year but about a week ago I received a personalized letter from the planning department advising me of their displeasure and an invitation to send them a cashiers check at their convenience for $500.00. Some good citizen performing their civic duty I guess. I asked the county who it was but all they wanted to do was talk about the $500.00 and how long it would take me to tear down my wind sock and yank up my tie down stakes.

Any way, to avoid the $100 a day fine and lenghty jail term associated with the continuance of such reprehensible practices I have begun the arduous task of applying for a special use permit. I had the Department of lands and national resources Hawaiian historical preservation society representative out there this morning to get a letter of "no effect". Her report will be done anyday now, and then it is sent to Kapulei Maui and there upon review will be sent back to Hilo whereupon I will rush it over to the county planning building along with the other 20, yes 20,copies of my 10 page application. I would keep on venting but you all must be tired of me now. Tune in next week. SHEEEZEREES!!!!

Martin

Guest ozzie

20 copies of ten pages you gonna have those tree hugging hippies after you.

can't run to far on a island hey. what a bunch of pekkerheads

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...