• DC-4
    • Stratocruiser
    • Convair CV-580
    • Vickers Viscount
    • L-188 Electra
    • L-10 Electra
    • Other

Guest Glenn

Just a poll to see what your favourite propliner is. If I have missed one on the list just tell us in a post. Mine is the DC-3 but I equally like all of them.

Guest Ultralights

i know, its not really old, or nostalgic, but i LOVE every flight in a DASH-8

i regularly fly to Cairns and Bundaburg in QLD from Sydney, and its not uncommon for my to book flights from Syd to newcastle, to Brisbane, just to spend a few more hrs in the D-8 my usual trip to Bundy is to Brisbane on a city flyer, then to bundy on a dash-8

for some reason, i love em.

Guest Ultralights

nahhh the 400 is too long, i like the stubby means business look of the 200/300's the 400's just dont look right! :lol: reminds me of the old flying pencils otherwise known as Metroliners!

Guest Sunshy

Mine is the Saab 340. Besides it's looks, I like its distinctive sound and it's pretty straight forward in maintenance, even though it's system are more like a widebody than a propliner.

Guest Ultralights

just reading over the list again, i do have fond memories of working on and reskinning a DC2!

and also a Grumman Tracker!

would love to see more of these old birds fly!

• 3 years later...
Guest g_i_jack029
How could you have a list of propeller driven airliners without the beautiful Super Constellation? As a HARS member I might be biassed. Simmo

Baldrick, your a damn SMART fela!!!!!!

i liked the connie but once i got to walk throught the connie i really loved it!!!

i got to look in the cockpit and thought to myself, this'll need a bit of CRC!!! :lol:

certainly a cockpit that looks like it's from a plane!!! =D>

Guest g_i_jack029

Folks.....Thats a real plane!!!

The HARS sure was a beautiful girl!

I'm glad that Australia has 1 or 2 organisations that keep them in good condition =D>

They say a gold coin donation to get a look through, i'm quite happy to put in a note donation :)

Guest David C

I've always had a soft spot for the old Vickers Viscount , ever since flying in them as a kid from Birmingham to Jersey and Guernsey in the Channel Islands . Those large oval windows always provided a great view , that was when the weather was fine though , and that wasn't very often in the uk .. AAHHH , the sound of those RR's too ... Showing my age now !!

Dave C

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Absolutely beautiful image! Is that an infra red filter on the camera?

Not my shot (it's the Breitling Connie - taken in ~2004, I think.. and don't look too closely at copyright issues). From the dim recesses of the brain I seem to recall that B&W images were enhanced dramatically by using red filters for cloud & sky effects, although today's digital e-enhancement can do just about anything with any original image, no matter the nature of the source.

I like a varied number of propliners and the 2 I like that spring to mind the HS748 and Convair CV340/440 lineage and the ones I have images of have those lovely big "paddle" PropsScott

So if you like the 240/340's, you'll probably enjoy this shot:

[ATTACH]249.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17836[/ATTACH]

CV240exhaust.jpg.834e6bf4f5c016aa786bfd691f47441a.jpg

...and this one too? How to achieve exhaust thrust augmentation from an R-2800. BTW, as a kid I flew Parafield to Sydney in a 240 and with the winds on the day it set a shortest time for that trip to that date. It's all just a bit different now, though - thanks to Frank Whittle and others!

[ATTACH]250.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17837[/ATTACH]

CV240_b.jpg.32ab31c2702d2e600b8f401d4cd88a3b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...