The antivirus 2009 threat

icebob

Hi All,

I just got the fix for this, there is five or six people around me that have had this pop up and could not get rid of it.

Solution:

Note: To fully remove all associated malware, perform the clean solutions for the following:

Terminating the Malware Program

This procedure terminates the running malware process.

1. Open Windows Task Manager.

• On Windows 98 and ME, press

CTRL+ALT+DELETE

• On Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Server 2003, press

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, then click the Processes tab.

2. In the list of running programs*, locate the process:

AV2009.EXE

3. Select the malware process, then press either the End Task or the End Process button, depending on the version of Windows on your computer.

4. To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.

5. Close Task Manager.

*NOTE: On computers running Windows 98 and ME, Windows Task Manager may not show certain processes. You can use a third party process viewer such as Process Explorer to terminate the malware process.

On computers running all Windows platforms, if the process you are looking for is not in the list displayed by Task Manager or Process Explorer, continue with the next solution procedure, noting additional instructions. If the malware process is in the list displayed by either Task Manager or Process Explorer, but you are unable to terminate it, restart your computer in safe mode.

Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry

This solution deletes/modifies registry keys/entries added/modified by this malware. Before performing the steps below, make sure you know how to back up the registry and how to restore it if a problem occurs. Refer to this Microsoft article for more information about modifying your computer's registry.

1. Open Registry Editor. Click Start>Run, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.

2. In the left panel, double-click the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>

Windows>CurrentVersion>Run

3. In the right panel, locate and delete the entry:

ieupdate = "%System%\ieupdates.exe""

(Note: %System% is the Windows system folder, which is usually C:\Windows\System on Windows 98 and ME, C:\WINNT\System32 on Windows NT and 2000, or C:\Windows\System32 on Windows XP and Server 2003.)

Removing Other Malware Keys from the Registry

1. Still in the Registry Editor, in the left panel, double-click the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software

2. Still in the left panel, locate and delete the key:

5A31A7C032FA4A817CA453B790082700

3. Again in the left panel, double-click the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Classes>CLSID

4. Still in the left panel, locate and delete the key:

{037C7B8A-151A-49E6-BAED-CC05FCB50328}

5. Again in the left panel, double-click the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>

CurrentVersion>Explorer>Browser Helper Objects

6. Still in the left panel, locate and delete the key:

{037C7B8A-151A-49E6-BAED-CC05FCB50328}

7. Close Registry Editor.

Deleting the Malware File(s)

1. Right-click Start then click Search... or Find..., depending on the version of Windows you are running.

2. In the Named input box, type:

%Application Data%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Antivirus 2009.lnk

(Note: %Application Data% is the current user's Application Data folder, which is usually C:\Windows\Profiles\{user name}\Application Data on Windows 98 and ME, C:\WINNT\Profiles\{user name}\Application Data on Windows NT, and C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Application Data on Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003.)

3. In the Look In drop-down list, select the drive that contains Windows, then press Enter.

4. Once located, select the file then press SHIFT+DELETE.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 for the following file(s):

%Desktop%\Antivirus 2009.lnk

%User Profile%\Antivirus 2009\Antiviris 2009.lnk

%User Profile%\Antivirus 2009\Uninstall Antiviris 2009.lnk

(Note: %Desktop% is the current user's desktop, which is usually C:\Windows\Profiles\{user name}\Desktop on Windows 98 and ME, C:\WINNT\Profiles\{user name}\Desktop on Windows NT, and C:\Documents and Settings\{User Name}\Desktop on Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003. %User Profile% is the current user's profile folder, which is usually C:\Windows\Profiles\{user name} on Windows 98 and ME, C:\WINNT\Profiles\{user name} on Windows NT, and C:\Documents and Settings\{user name} on Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003.)

Important Windows ME/XP Cleaning Instructions

Users running Windows ME and XP must disable System Restore to allow full scanning of infected computers.

Users running other Windows versions can proceed with the succeeding solution set(s).

Running Trend Micro Antivirus

If you are currently running in safe mode, please restart your computer normally before performing the following solution.

Scan your computer with Trend Micro antivirus and delete files detected as TROJ_FAKEAV.CX. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest virus pattern file and scan their computer. Other Internet users can use HouseCall, the Trend Micro online virus scanner.