A380 into Brisbane

Guest Cralis

I think the A380 will be coming into Brisbane today at 11h30. :thumb_up: I'm in Brisbane city, and have top floor roof access. I also have a 300mm lens on my camera and a frequency scanner. (Are they legal here? If so... I'm ready. If no... I meant a CD player...)

My 'CD player' is tuned into 125.6 which I think is Brisbane Approach.

I'm newish to scanning... This is what I have:

Brisbane Approach: - 125.6

Brisbane Approach: - 123.5

Brisbane Departures: - 124.35

Brisbane Tower: - 120.5

Brisbane Ground: - 121.7

Brisbane Delivery: - 118.6

Brisbane ATIS: - 113.2

Brisbane ATIS: - 125.5

Brisbane Radar: - 125.7

Which would be the best channel to be on to hear it?

Also, the bugger wind is pretty string from the South... so it's doing a landing from the north. :( Won't see it. Anyone able to swing the wind in the next ... ooo.... 1 and a bit hours? :)

Out of interest, my 'cd player' is a Yupiteru MVT-3300EU

Oh, and finally, any idea what it's call sign would be?

Naaa... saw NOTHING. :(

Was on the roof like a chimp, with my radio and camera... and.. nothing.

Heard a few guys coming and going, but nothing that sounded like the 380. Got back to my desk, and my wife mentioned there were delays or something...

So, failed.

However, I *think* I saw it come over at 18h17. I think it had a 18h00 departure from Brisbane... and we saw what looked like a FAT plane come over very slowly, and very quietly.... heading North.... We're pretty sure it was the 380, but not 100%

CD player worked 100% though! :)

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif049_sad.gif.cfa4f274d7bd070bd6a24b809e8799ba.gif:sad:Thats a crying shame.........Ah well there's always another time....:big_grin:

Ps. You mentioned some time that you do something with computer programs, or something..... do you mind me asking where you work?

Cheers

Yeah sure... I work for a software consultancy based in Brisbane, currently placed in a Queensland Govornment buildings in George Street. Yourself?

Yep, I'm a Diesel/petrol Mechanic...2nd Yr apprentice.... but have been doing mechanics for a lot longer... My Dad's a Diesel fitter, and my eldest brother is also... I work for my dad part time, and where based at Cecil Plains (80klm west of Twmba), but where mobile so go anywhere..... within reason..........:big_grin:

"Scotts Mobile Mechanical" Thats who we are:thumb_up:

Tom:laugh:

Aw man!

I think the A380 might have buzzed Brisbane! A massive dark shadow passed over us, and the sound of a large aircraft - direct over Brisbane city centre. I of course.. just saw the shadow. :(

Rushed to the roof, but alas... nothing. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I was thinking - these are crew training flights. I can get a J170 for $190/hour. I wonder what a A380/hour would sit at? 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Yep, I'm a Diesel/petrol Mechanic...2nd Yr apprentice.... but have been doing mechanics for a lot longer... My Dad's a Diesel fitter, and my eldest brother is also... I work for my dad part time, and where based at Cecil Plains (80klm west of Twmba), but where mobile so go anywhere..... within reason..........:big_grin:"Scotts Mobile Mechanical" Thats who we are:thumb_up:

Tom:laugh:

Once my Golf goes out of warrenty, I'll give you a shout. :)

The price must be massive for the training, because when we had a tour through the 747-200 at Longreach the other week, I got some details of that aircraft...:thumb_up: try and think of how much fuel they carry for a flight;) 196tonnes of it:sad: and each engine uses 2375ltrs an hour, an there's four engines......

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to go on one of the training flights:big_grin:

I'm just dying to have a confirmed sighting of it. Going in it - I'm not so sure yet. I'm not at all scared of flying, however... it's new... it has teething problems... I think I'll wait around 2 years before I book a flight on one.. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I'm pretty sure it's safe and all, but... watching Air Crash Investigation, and you find such a small thing starts the chain reaction... I just find it hard to believe that they have caught all the issues...

At first, I thought it was slightly ugly.. like... those strange types of dolphins. But now, when I see it on TV - it's quite a beasty looking plane. And the Qanats colours suit it. Can't wait for it to come visit Cabollture Aerodrome. :)

Yeah I know what you mean, and I've actually never been in any aircraft with no more that four seats "Cessna 182" is my biggest so far...... and only about three times in about 4yrs:sad: But thank goodness I found about the RAA because it's a lot more affordable to start with... as you know....

I'll try and include a picture of the 747 (taken by me) and the A380 (from google)...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

There attached....... A big difference between the two thats for sure:big_grin:

851317582_747-200cockpit.JPG.ddfa69a1a5dc2810cf4c0212c5a2d0be.JPG

a380.jpg.073fb75cad3de9980dbfa2dff0f17287.jpg

Guest basscheffers

I've been lucky enough to see it on a couple of occasions already. First at the Farnborough airshow and earlier this year I saw some of the Singapore ones, on the ground in Sydney and Singapore and flying into Heathrow. (it must have been following us around!)

Still, the father-in-law wants to go and see it, so I'll probably take a trip down to YPAD this weekend anyway.

Seeing it first, it looks small. But that is just because it is fatter, so it doesn't look as long.

Seeing these airliners at an airshow is fantastic; the enormous power to weight ratios they have when the have nothing but a bit of fuel and two pilots in them allows very short take offs, followed by very steep climbing turns.

Lucky you.....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I did see a video of a 707 on the first test flight doing barrel rolls... I thought that was pretty awesome:thumb_up:

Is the A380 heading down there on the weekend?

Guest basscheffers

It is supposed to be here 12:15 local tomorrow. Next weekend it should be here on sunday about 5pm, which would be a lot nicer light for photography.

I don't think it was the 707s first test flight, I doubt they were quite that bad cowboys! I believe it was during the test program, when they were flying into Boeing field for an air show.

If you ever get the chance: Boeing do tours of the factory in Everett, just outside Seattle. I was there in 1996 or there abouts, quite impressive!

Yeah actually now that you mention it, our neighbour went there about 12months ago... It would be pretty nice I reckon....:thumb_up: but a wee bit far for me at the moment:sad:

And yes I think it was some sort of airshow cause there was a lot of people on the ground watching, It was just a video that they had on at the QUANTAS Museum at Longreach, talking about the 707 they have there... but pretty awesome all the same...:big_grin:

Tom