Is our RAAus licence recognised in the UK?

Guest osprey5

Guest osprey5

I haven't looked into it myself but seeing we've got an 'international flying' forum thought I'd save the leg work and ask the question here. Is our RAAus licence recognised overseas (in particular the UK) so we'd be in a position to hire an aircraft over there?

Mike.

Guest Crezzi

An Aussi PPL would be recognised for GA but not RAAus certificate. You'd have to convert it to a British NPPL (if you found somewhere that will rent a plane).

Cheers

John

Guest David C

All the info is contained here BMAA Online..... I'm going over there next week for a few weeks VFR ( Visiting Friends and Rellies ) and I hope to have a fly or two at my old local airfield , however , it technically will be a TIF , as I don't hold a NPPL(M) ..

Dave C

Why?

We keep on calling it a licence, which it is not,(as Crezzi points out).

We are most likely, ahead of the world, with what we have here, so if we are, then that explains it.

British Aviation is notoriously hide-bound. Don't forget the British invented beaurocracy, and I thought the Indians perfected it, but you have got to differentiate between beaurocracy and administrative corruption to make that judgement. Appreciate what you have, all the more. Nev..

Guest Crezzi
Well my question is:and why not?

We live in modern times, what's the problem?

regards

Because its a national qualification administered by a national organisation to a national syllabus. The syllabus for PPL is to ICAO standard hence they are generally accepted in all ICAO signatory countries.

The BMAA would recognise the RAAus training but you would have to sit an exam or two & have some additional training in areas such as controlled airspace - unlike here ,the UK microlight licence has never prevented operation in controlled airspace (& there is a lot of it over there to deal with)

Its also worth pointing that its not just British bureaucracy - a Pom visitor here with a UK NPPL(M) could not legal fly an RAAus registered aircraft so it cuts both ways.

Cheers

John

Guest Crezzi
All the info is contained here BMAA Online..... I'm going over there next week for a few weeks VFR ( Visiting Friends and Rellies ) and I hope to have a fly or two at my old local airfield , however , it technically will be a TIF , as I don't hold a NPPL(M) ..Dave C

If you're flying from Halfpenny Green (or Wolverhampton International Spaceport or whatever they call it now) say hi to Steve Wilkes should you meet him (I believe he's doing some instructing there these days.

Cheers

John

We keep on calling it a licence, which it is not,(as Crezzi points out). We are most likely, ahead of the world, with what we have here, so if we are, then that explains it.

British Aviation is notoriously hide-bound. Don't forget the British invented beaurocracy, and I thought the Indians perfected it, but you have got to differentiate between beaurocracy and administrative corruption to make that judgement. Appreciate what you have, all the more. Nev..

Nev you hit the nail on the head again.:hittinghead:

• 1 month later...