Hello from Adelaide

Thx1137

Guest basscheffers

Bit blowy this side of the ridge too, but at least we have 26L/R at Parafield so it was close to down the strip yet still a bit of a x-wind component so that was good training. Probably would have soloed if conditions were better. Still, managed to do the last three circuits without any input at all for pretty smooth touch downs despite the gusts, so I am pretty happy! :thumb_up:

Going to try again on Friday morning!

What do they teach you, crabbing or sideslip? I've been doing crabbing, but there seems to be a bit disagreement between instructors on what's best for novice pilots.

I just came back from doing my first cross-wind training session. My instructor said he was impressed so that's good given the conditions! I really sucked during a couple of engine failure practice runs though, one was so bad I had to go-around :-( I am usually good with those. Oh well, next time...

I was doing sideslips myself. I was _very_ nervous.

It seems next week I start preparing for area solos. I have been looking forward to that!

I now have exactly 14 hours in the log book so I am pretty happy with how it is going. All that simulator time certainly helps me a bit!

Guest basscheffers

What happens in area solos? The only thing I can imagine is flying to the training area, fly around in circles and come back again. What else is there to it?

I reckon you may have mucked up your glides because of strong wind. You certainly go down in a lot shorter distance with a string headwind! I had never landed with quite this much and needed a lot of power on final and apply full flaps quite late to not undershoot.

I now am at 15.5, but about 4 of that has been in GA aircraft I could not solo without SPL while the Sportstar was out of action. Only done two flights in the sporty since it came back on-line. (That's an advantage for Aldinga, one plane down doesn't stop all RA-Aus training!)

I guess I get to practice what I think I need to practice. Steep turns, stall recovery, basic navigation and basically try to make flying the plane second nature so I can then think about other things and not just concentrating on "flying the plane".

I have always been spot-on in the the glides before, it was definitely the conditions. I would turn final and think "this looks good" but the big headwind component kept me way high. I keep thinking that with such a strong headwind I would need more height to make the field. I said to one of the guys after putting the plane away "i felt I was nearly high enough to glide to YPAD!" on my second last and worst attempt :-)

Last week on two approaches I hit sink at about 350 feet on final with one of those only affecting one wing causing an almost 30 degree bank. The darn thing dropped like a brick for a short distance and had me going for a second. I can certainly see why being slow on an approach can be a disaster! I small twist of throttle and the old sportstar leaps away, I like its power.

Once we started taxing I said to the instructor, "your not getting out of the plane on me today!" I am sure he had no intention of it but.. :-)

That's a bugger about only one sportstar thats for sure!

Guest rxbrumby

hi, I was down at Aldinga today. I think i saw you flying. I was in my minicab at the same time. The gusty conditions certainly made for some challanging curcuits. when you have finished your licence you should get some tailwheel time on one of the sport cubs. I guess Im lucky as both my wife and daughter both like to go flying with me. My daughter is much more comfortable in the plane than my wife though. Although she is only seven she loves to help flying, and cant wait to start lessons when she is big enough. I have started to teach her how to map read and flight plan. A good way to get her to fly is giving her a joyflight in the tigermoth or waco. Also tell her about the new cafe at antechamber bay on kangaroo island, Its only a 25 minute flight from Aldinga. I hope to bump into you sometime down there, more than happy to give you a ride if you like.

Cheers

scott

Hi Scott, at just after 4pm it seems I was the only student, usually there are lots of us buzzing around! I think the wind was worse last week as I didn't have so much wind drpping and sink today. Still, it was a handful for me!

Yes you are luck the will go up with you. I may be able to get them up once but a second time? Not so sure. I will really have to pick a nice day and trip :-)

I have only ever been in a taildragger once before, about 20 year ago. I don't really understand why many pilots swear by them though :-) Later on I will have to try on out to find out! :-)

It seem there are a few Aldinga people here, I will have to upload my mug shot so we can say 'hi!':-)

G'day...pilots and those hard at work to qualify...

I have done a quick chopper flight on this session both pages, and one thing seems clear and it looks like an international problem or should I say it's a woman's thing.....

My "softness" also does not like flying but she never complains as long as I phone and letting her know when we back at the hangar... I always phone after the full stop landing ...then all is well at home

But what really caught my eye were all the girls flying with their fathers....

Good to see/hear that, I have two girls, and the oldest now 12 yrs enjoy flying with me more than the younger one now age 10.

(Keep it straight and level!!)

Regards

Zazoo