Hi from Virginia Beach, USA

Guest beachbob

Guest beachbob

I'm a retired policeman of an age that the concept of "someday" has taken on a whole new meaning. So I've just started LSA flying lessons in a CTsw. The flight school also has a Sport Cruiser that is a lot easier to land but the CTsw has a BRS and the Sport Cruiser doesn't. I found this site when I googled "CTsw landing". I'm way too new to add anything intelligent to the discussion but hope to learn enough to be able to do so in the future. Thank you. Bob Merhige

Guest pelorus32
I'm a retired policeman of an age that the concept of "someday" has taken on a whole new meaning. So I've just started LSA flying lessons in a CTsw. The flight school also has a Sport Cruiser that is a lot easier to land but the CTsw has a BRS and the Sport Cruiser doesn't. I found this site when I googled "CTsw landing". I'm way too new to add anything intelligent to the discussion but hope to learn enough to be able to do so in the future. Thank you. Bob Merhige

G'day Bob,

welcome...you're never too old. This is a great site. Ian - the owner is an ex-CT pilot.

What I want to know is this: When you googled CTsw Landing did it say something like "drunken dinosaur"? Because I think that's what the CT is like in the landing phase!!

Grabbing flak jacket and heading for cover...

Welcome

Mike

Guest beachbob

Thanks for the welcome!

I did indeed know the forum was based in Australia. In fact, that really caught my eye. Is there anyone in Australia who doesn't love airplanes? Surely, Australia is the most aviation literate country on earth! And I did note the "drunken dino" post. The CTsw clearly has a reputation in connection with landing them. I think that reputation is certainly reflected at the flight school I use. The brand new (55 hours) CTsw with auto-pilot, Dynon EFIS, Dynon instrument monitor, and of course the BRS, rents for $89/hour U.S. ($132 AUD). The other LSA, an older Sport Cruiser without the fancy equipment or a BRS rents for $99/hour U.S. Even at a lower cost, the CTsw is not utilized as much as the other plane. I would guess the Sport Cruiser is flown twice as much. A look at the U.S. NTSB website shows 14 CTsw accidents since they began flying here. Eleven or 12 were landing accidents. But only 2 of the total accidents resulted in serious injuries which must say something for the crash worthiness of the cockpit. I may break a record for most dual instruction prior to a solo landing! Even with the landing quirkiness it is still a good plane, right? Thanks.

Guest Maj Millard

Good luck with the flying Bob. Bit by bit is a good way to do things, enjoy as you go. Like many real slick planes the CT probabily doesn't want to slow down for landing. It is another skill to slow a plane to the ideal touch down speed, and that's the key to good landings. But not too slow now! Cheers 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif