Assorted News

Guest TOSGcentral

Guest TOSGcentral

A few snippets of information for international Thruster owners. I know we now have quite a few visit these forums so stop being bloody shy and post something!!!!

UK EDITION EDITOR CHANGE.

Joan Walsh, who kindly started the UK edition of the Thruster International Bulletin has been forced. through the consequences of last year’s ill health, to pull out but will remain a subscriber and contributor.

I have a deep gratitude for Joan’s willing involvement to have joined with me in expanding the catchment of Thruster news and views into the Northern Hemisphere. She has done a great job.

Joan is far more than just an editor/distributor. She has her own T600N school where she flys as an instructor, has shares in other ultralights, is very active on various forums and also has the only dedicated flight simulator set up in captivity for Thrusters(which she designed and wrote the computer programme for - Yes I know a T600N is part of Microsoft’s offerings but you cannot sit in it can you?).

At the same time I must also acknowledge the huge contribution of her husband Ginge who is constantly contributing to Thruster involvement.

Joan will be continuing until the final Bulletin of 2008 and then will be handing over to Ted Snook (who has a long background in hands-on aviation) who will be taking over for the first Bulletin of 2009 scheduled for end of March 2009.

A huge thank you to all of you.

UK THRUSTER FACTORY.

This situation limps on with the new factory still under the heel of the UK CAA before they are allowed to go back into production of new Thrusters after their purchase from Gordon Pil. They still seem keen and are able to issue spares – so they have a firm foot in the door. They also have the only T600F amphibian in existence that is still en-route to full certification with its flaps etc.

UK SINGLE SEAT THRUSTER???

Very recently discussion has started on the UK Thruster Club forum for the creation of a new single seat Thruster in UK. The UK factory muttered about this over a year ago, talking about the possibility of a kit in the future.

Now people are looking hard at the UK SSDA regulation (similar to the Oz 95.10 scene) and discussion is revolving around building a prototype – but under a different name as the factory would not be involved.

I have suggested they use the basic T85 design but also the best bits of the 1988 Thruster Sprint project.

The situation looks very interesting – particularly as ‘do it yourself when you have to’ enthusiasm is still running high in the face of succumbing to market trends of multi thousand dollar aircraft.

More news as I get it

Aye

Tony

Thanks for the kind words, Tony,

Latest news on the rumour network is that the new Thruster factory has been awarded it A1 approval by the CAA.

This still needs to be officially confirmed....

Edited to add that it seems the rumour mill was too optimistic. Apparently sucessful meeting was had with the CAA but it's not in the bag (yet, we hope).

Joan

• 5 months later...

Well since then we've heard, of course, that the factory has had it's approval and I understand that they are building new aircraft again.

Those who read about my training simulator in the TOSG bulletin a few issues back may be interested in the latest enhancement, a 'tactile transducer' fitted to the seat - known in the trade as a butt-kicker. It's now possible to feel that all-important transition between earth and sky, and back again. It's made an instant improvement to the training value in the landing phase with one student making a marked (and sustained) improvement in his landings after just one session. My real Thruster has already said thank you 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

Joan

www.SaxonMicro.co.uk/simulator

Guest TOSGcentral

Hmmmm! Not sure about this one Joan! There is a school of thought that maintains that anyone who flies Thrusters needs their butt kicked - now you are providing the means for them to have this in training - so they can get used to it early ????? LOL!

Seriously - good work gal! It is so good to see your project expanding and moving forward in such a positive way.

Aye

Tony